Homemade Frame Sliders

GF_Playa

was thinking of making my own frame sliders, anyone go about doing this? what did u use to make em and how easy is install?

Newmason

Um.... No... How do you plan on doing this?

GF_Playa

right now its was just a thought, have access to alot of fabrication material, wanted to know if anyone customized their own

porky45

save yourself the time. spend $40-50 and get the right materials unless you have preshapped delrin at your disposal?

MikeN02

You also have to go through hours and hours of testing the material to see if they work etc. I doubt you'd like to slam your bike on the pavement.

arkkornkid

we can get frame sliders..... if you have some fabrication skills: see what you could do about an engine cage.

JSP

Super Moderator
You can do it if you want to. Not sure why people think you cant. Just get some delrin rod of your size liking and use a lathe to cut it and counterbore etc... find the right size bolts and such.

DELRIN® - DELRIN Sheet & Delrin Rod- Order Online

Sure you could spend the same money and get pre-made ones but its cool to know you specifically made something for yourself.

owldaddy

I used to have a machine shop at my disposal. I would have tried the same thing if I could still use that shop (retired and not allowed through the gate any more). If you need dimensions to make some, I will get them for you. I can tell you that the sliders I bought started out as 1.875" material, they turned it down to 1.78". If your going have to buy a foot of material, you might just save yourself the trouble though. It won't save you very much money, and in fact if you don't want to cut a hole in the fairing, your going to have make some aluminum off sets as well. The time spent making them, and buying longer bolts will off set any cost savings. ebay has some for a very reasonable price.

tractorboy

In my humble opinion Dont let people say you cant. I made my own before alot of them were out.

I got delrin and made them with brothers lathe. Right side we notched and used a longer bolt of same size in the same place on engine.

Left side I had to make a "bracket" between two spots and thread the bracket as well as notching the delrin.

Delrin is not terribly expensive and easy to cut/work with....

Total cost was like 30 bucks? if that. It was fun and always remember...whether it works or not..you tried and its fun trying and may have learned something along the way. Thats my take on it!!

MikeN02

My take is that I'd rather spend the extra $20 on a product that is well tested, plus it would save me the time of making the frame sliders to use for riding. Also wouldn't be able to ride because you're making the sliders and the reason you want them is in case of a tip over.

JonKerr

Elite Member

GF_Playa

after doing some hw proly gonna end up costing more than actually buying a pair, but anyone know if r1 or r6 sliders will work without doing to much cutting?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
after doing some hw proly gonna end up costing more than actually buying a pair, but anyone know if r1 or r6 sliders will work without doing to much cutting?
Doubtful. The geometry between the engine bolts and the fairings for the R6/1 are different from the FZ6R's. Not likely that they would work without some modifcation.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
To be honest, I have no idea if they are the same. :don'tknow:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Why do you want to go with R6/R1 sliders, when you can get ones specifically for the FZ6R for less than $50 with no modifications?

GF_Playa

wanna get carbon fiber and found some that are like 20-30 bucks, with shipping most fz6r's are round 70, just tryin to save some cash

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
OK Gotcha.