HF motorcycle lift review

stevet

I sold my Harbor freight swing arm stand because it was tricky at best to get the bike up and worse coming down. I would of needed another stand in conjunction with the rear to raise the front. By far the best solution I came up with to solve the lifting of the FJ6R is the Harbor Freight Aluminum motorcycle lift. It's on sale right now from $199 to $149. Redeem your 20% off coupon and it's about $119. You could easily spend that on a swing arm stand alone. This works way better! Be sure to use a tie down on each side of the bike for safety attached from the handlebars to the lift. I confirmed with the service department that raising the bike by the exhaust system and catalytic converter was the proper place to lift this bike. Go slow releasing the handle coming down and make sure you have the kickstand down for added safety. This aluminum lift is a gem.

Spunky99

I confirmed with the service department that raising the bike by the exhaust system and catalytic converter was the proper place to lift this bike.
I'd like to know what service Dept. told you this bit of info.....

first off I realize there are 2 support brackets that hold the muffler under the frame and they look certainly strong enough to support a 470+ lb motorcycle.
The problem is that the stand also puts pressure on the engine exhaust ports because most of the pressure will be exerted where the weight is. The engine, gas tank, front forks etc are in front of the CAT. So the main weight of the bike will be supported by 4 exhaust tubes (header) that are bolted to the engine exhaust ports at 12 or 14 ftlb. If you crack an exhaust port or the metal that the studs are screwed into your engine will require an expensive repair and it won't be covered by the warranty.
I seriously doubt the exhaust port area of the motorcycle was designed to support the main weight of the bike on a lift. Sounds unwise to me.

Just my 2 cents

pyrocpu

Not to mention, I no longer have the OEM exhaust header/exhaust assembly on my bike anymore... I wonder how a shop would lift my bike... Overhead sling??

pyrocpu

What would be the contact/lift points though?

MikeN02

What would be the contact/lift points though?
From what I saw that my guy used, he had my bike's front wheel in a lock like thing and used straps. Then he just lifted the whole table up.

Now if you're changing the front wheel or taking the whole front end off, he used one of those Engine lifts used straps to secure the bike and up it goes.

stevet

Wheel chocks

The thing the wheels front or back are secured into are called wheel chocks. They keep the bike from moving backwards or forwards. Harbor Freight also has these for $39. With the motorcycle lift I bought from them I didn't need a wheel chock. The bike went up very easily and I didn't sense anything was being stressed. There just isn't much below the bike to raise up on except the pipes and catalyst. It seemed this motorcycle stand distributed the lifting evenly. I saw a very small place on the oil pan you could add a small wooden block to help in lifting but I don't think it's really necessary. Maybe others will also write with their experience with this lift. I will post with any more info in case of any future problem arising with this procedure.

The thing the wheels front or back are secured into are called wheel chocks. They keep the bike from moving backwards or forwards. Harbor Freight also has these for $39. With the motorcycle lift I bought from them I didn't need a wheel chock. The bike went up very easily and I didn't sense anything was being stressed. There just isn't much below the bike to raise up on except the pipes and catalyst. It seemed this motorcycle stand distributed the lifting evenly. I saw a very small place on the oil pan you could add a small wooden block to help in lifting but I don't think it's really necessary. Maybe others will also write with their experience with this lift. I will post with any more info in case of any future problem arising with this procedure.
How'd it work out?