Hey guys! New member, soon-to-be FZ6R owner! Need some advice.

coolfir3pwnz

Sup guys? I'm Akash, from the Orange County area of New York. I'm 21 years old and I'll be purchasing my first motorcycle shortly. I saw and fell in love with a black 2012 FZ6R. Unfortunately, the dealer knows this, lol. I need some financial/negotiating help. Found the same bike $2k cheaper at a place 2 hours away. Still gotta talk to that dealer, but everything is closed on Sundays. KBB values the bike at $6535. NADA values the bike at $7690. Dealer is selling for $7690, take $500 off as a manufacturer's discount thing, so $7190 being the final cost of the bike. I'm getting frame sliders and a rear fender elimination kit, which with labor and parts, brings my OTD total to just below $7600. This new dealer ad I saw is selling the bike for $5900. Holy hell, right? The $1200 I save can cover the cost of all my gear and even a bit more. Am I overpaying if I pay $7190 for the bike? Anyway, I'm signing up for a MSF course tomorrow, slated for mid-April. The bike is going to sit in my parents' garage until I'm licensed, insured, geared, and the bike is registered. Thoughts are much appreciated.

I might have put this in the wrong section. Wasn't sure whether to put this in the New Member section or the General section due to the price negotiation thing. Sorry :p

Last edited:

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

BKP

What he said ^^

MSRP for a 2012, when the 2013s are out, is foolish (even if there's no raven 2013).

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

coolfir3pwnz

The one that you're offered for $7600 OTD with the extras, is that a new bike, or used? Sounds new. And that sounds ridiculously low, unless he's not including tax and license in the OTD amount.

Just for the record, I was offered a new 2012 the other day for $7600 OTD, including everything. No mods, but it sounds like they're overcharging you for those mods anyway. Buy and install them yourself, it's not hard.
It's a new bike. They're charging $255.00 for labor alone and around $150 for the parts. Well, the catch here is that I won't be paying sales tax, registration fee, or the inspection fee because I will be registering the bike in CT, the state my driver's license is in. I probably should have mentioned this before, but I'm active duty military living and working in NY, but my license and home of record is in CT. As for the mods, I don't really trust myself cutting into the fairing on the bike, having never worked on one previously. The fender elimination kit shouldn't be a problem, however...

I'm estimating that the sales tax, registration, and inspection is going to cost over $500 since sales tax is 6.35%, registration fee is $42, and I'm not sure what the inspection fee is. In addition to all this, I gotta buy gear and pay for an MSF course? $7190 sounds like I'm overpaying...

Last edited:

mcjfauser

I got one piece of advice, be mindful of the psychological state you can become victim of when your after something. I suggest taking as much time as it takes to come to a rational decision finding resolution that achieves maximum benefit for the cost. If you allow emotion to play role in your decision you may be kicking yourself later as better deals could have been right around the corner.

BKP

It's a new bike. They're charging $255.00 for labor alone and around $150 for the parts. Well, the catch here is that I won't be paying sales tax, registration fee, or the inspection fee because I will be registering the bike in CT, the state my driver's license is in. I probably should have mentioned this before, but I'm active duty military living and working in NY, but my license and home of record is in CT. As for the mods, I don't really trust myself cutting into the fairing on the bike, having never worked on one previously. The fender elimination kit shouldn't be a problem, however...
Many of the sliders out there don't require fairing modification...
T-Rex, Shogun, couple others...

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

EsrTek

^^Do the mods yourself.
Those mods will cost you $200 in parts and >2hrs to install for $0.. $300 in labor is ridiculousness.

As for the bike, comparing on price alone is not going to help.
You need to know what the fine details between the two are. Mileage? Crashed? Dropped? Modded? compare all that then you will probably see why there is a price difference and decide what you really want and how much you want to spend.

On side note: starting w a 600, even a sport tourer, is a bit much. If you have 0 to little riding exp. You will be better served w/ a 250, like the ninja, which you can get for under $2k to 4k for practically new. Most come pre-scratched so you really don't have to worry bout drops and such as much.

coolfir3pwnz

^^Do the mods yourself.
Those mods will cost you $200 in parts and >2hrs to install for $0.. $300 in labor is ridiculousness.

As for the bike, comparing on price alone is not going to help.
You need to know what the fine details between the two are. Mileage? Crashed? Dropped? Modded? compare all that then you will probably see why there is a price difference and decide what you really want and how much you want to spend.

On side note: starting w a 600, even a sport tourer, is a bit much. If you have 0 to little riding exp. You will be better served w/ a 250, like the ninja, which you can get for under $2k to 4k for practically new. Most come pre-scratched so you really don't have to worry bout drops and such as much.
Yeah, you're right. I'll be calling that other dealership tomorrow and asking about the details. Unfortunately, they're about 2 hours away, so going there often would be a hassle. I will, however, be calling and inquiring tomorrow. Regarding the bike, I know exactly what you're saying and have been trying to look at Ninja 250's and 500r's and none of them feel as good as the FZ6R does. Does that sound weird?

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

coolfir3pwnz

Besides, when you do the mods yourself you not only save money, but you also learn more about you're bike. Most mods on the FZ6R you can do yourself including the Exhaust without being a mechanic.

I remember how proud I was when I put my sho-gun frame sliders on myself as if I accomplished something.

Of course, my biggest accomplishment was getting those dam stickers off the tank~!
There are a ton of stickers on the tank, haha. I'm not sure if I want to take them off or not yet. We'll see. Gotta focus on getting the bike first! I guess that all of this is more than a little intimidating. Maybe I'm just being a *****, but I don't want to mess it up lol. I wonder if there are any riders in the area that would be willing to instruct a bit? Okay, forget the mods for now. I can buy them and install them myself. $500 for parts and labor is absurd.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

RoadTrip

Yeah, you're right. I'll be calling that other dealership tomorrow and asking about the details. Unfortunately, they're about 2 hours away, so going there often would be a hassle. I will, however, be calling and inquiring tomorrow. Regarding the bike, I know exactly what you're saying and have been trying to look at Ninja 250's and 500r's and none of them feel as good as the FZ6R does. Does that sound weird?
The FZ6R is a very friendly bike due to its very tractable power, but if you no experience it would be a lot better to ride a 250 for a month at least; its not crucial, but it would be a lot better to drop a used 250 and have the safety of limited power for a first bike. The MSF will give you a taste, but the riding time is somewhat limited, if you could at least run around on a dirt bike for a weekend at a friends farm, shifting and balancing, etc, even that would be a great help.

coolfir3pwnz

Like other have said save your money and do the mods yourself. If you need any help or are unsure check with us and we'll steer you right. This forum is great and everything pretty much has been done multiple times by some or all the members here. You'll learn lots about your bike too. Get no cut frame sliders. I like my shogun sliders and they're easy to install.
The dealer was all like "Blah blah blah, 15% off since it's for your new bike, blah blah blah." They must have all gotten a good laugh off of me when I left the establishment. :disapprove:

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

ArmyFZ6R

Welcome to the forum. hey one question, why are you paying for the MSF course when with the Army is totally free?

coolfir3pwnz

The FZ6R is a very friendly bike due to its very tractable power, but if you no experience it would be a lot better to ride a 250 for a month at least; its not crucial, but it would be a lot better to drop a used 250 and have the safety of limited power for a first bike. The MSF will give you a taste, but the riding time is somewhat limited, if you could at least run around on a dirt bike for a weekend at a friends farm, shifting and balancing, etc, even that would be a great help.
A couple of fellow Marines have bikes and stuff. I'm pretty sure I could ask one of them to teach me a little bit.