HELP - Gears engage but bike doesn't move

Bruno

Last saturday i went for a ride... I was riding really strong (Fast) with a friend in his honda CB600f hornet and my bike suddenly lost all traction. I still could feel the gears being engaged when moving the rod up and down, but no traction on the rear wheel, like it were on neutral... I didn't check the front sprocket (I only thought about this later), but i'm pretty sure it were still there, but the way chain and rear sprocket were moving when i pushed the bike to the gas station... Any thoughts?

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
How does your clutch lever feel? Make sure you have the correct free play in it and its adjusted correctly. Other than that... clutch may have went out?

How many miles on the bike? When was last oil change/service? Check the clutch cable itself and the connection at the clutch itself. Do the 2 dots align still?

Bruno

How does your clutch lever feel? Make sure you have the correct free play in it and its adjusted correctly. Other than that... clutch may have went out?

How many miles on the bike? When was last oil change/service? Check the clutch cable itself and the connection at the clutch itself. Do the 2 dots align still?
Clutch feels normal... Oil is due to change, let's say, 3000 miles...

Bruno

Well, i found out what happened, the nut that holds the front sprocket got away and the sprocket moved away from the lock position... Now i have to buy a new nut and washer... I've read on the service manual that it is a M20 nut, but it doesn't say the pitch and if it is inverted or conventional... Does anyone know?

Chucker

I would pickup a replacement from a Yamaha dealer. It shouldn't be expensive, and then you'll now you got exactly the right one. Having the front sprocket come loose is scary sh!t.

By the way, you'll want to use Locktite.

Chucker

Bruno

I would pickup a replacement from a Yamaha dealer. It shouldn't be expensive, and then you'll now you got exactly the right one. Having the front sprocket come loose is scary sh!t.

By the way, you'll want to use Locktite.
The Yamaha dealer near me quoted something like $70 for the nut and washer... And i needed to pay and wait 20 days or so...

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Chucker

My Yamaha dealer ordered me one. 2 days and $12.00.