Help! Brakes "stuck"

G

GvCIA

I was replacing my FZ6 forks and took the whole front brake calipers off, went to roll the bike in the garage for the night and before i had a chance to re-attach the calipers onto the forks (and over the rotors) I squeezed the front brake lever out of habbit. Now the brake pads are touching on both front brakes and don't want to return to the "open" position so I can slide the calipers over the rotors.

Anyone have a clue as to open the brakes back up? Thanks!

F

Fred

First loosen the master cylinder cap, and lay down towels in case your efforts make the master cylinder overflow.

See if you can fit a screwdriver between the pads to pry them apart. Be gentle so that you don't tear up the pads. Once you have a small gap you're home free. And try to pry from various points on the pad so that you don't get the cylinders wedged at an angle in their bores.

Another option, if they're too tight to get the screwdriver in, is to push agains the back side of one of the pads. This will push the opposite cylinders in, and then you'll have enough of a gap that you can get the screwdriver in.

Once you've got one caliper sorted out, put it back on the bike before you start on the other one, or you'll just be going back and forth between the two calipers.

Good luck!

B

brady_cakes01

also, once you get a gap in there, you could use some "c" clamps to hold them open.

G

GvCIA

Oh ok. I figured, same thing happened to my dad's old Honda Goldwing after not riding it for a year or so. Just have to pry the pads open gently. Thanks! :D

J

jmerch44

Thats what I love to see on this site. You guys are awsome!

T

TownsendsFJR1300

If there's ANY crud on the pistons, clean them up some with am old tooth brush before you push them back in. Crud + seals = leaky/sticky seals/pistons/brakes....

W

Wildcard

Theres an even easier method. All you have to do is open the bleeder screw and push hard against the pistons. It will squirt fluid out and compress.