Hellooo..Newbie Here... Now onto Overpants!

rahuljp

Hey guys

I just purchased a 2009 leftover FZ6R after a lot of research. The forum was a great help with that. I still havent picked it up yet, although I purchased it a month back. Looking for a means of bringing it over to CT from Long Island. I didnt want to ride it over right away.

Just a little background, I've been riding since I was 16 (26 now), but mostly in India. I always wanted to get a bike, but had to buy a house, car, get married. Now that all that is done, I figured I'd get a bike. My MSF course is this weekend, and I'm excited to complete that.

Anyways.. onto my question, I work in a company where i'm usually required to wear business casual most of the time. I can wear jeans on days I dont have meetings. Are any of guys in similar situations? Do you usually wear overpants then, or protection underneath the pants? I figured it would be a pain if I had to do that on my commute everyday (just 15 mins though)!

Sorry for the long post.... :)

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bobski

I went the overpant route. Considered underarmour but figured it would be more of a pain getting it on and off than just slipping the overpants on and off. Plus the overpants protect your regular clothing while riding or in the (hopefully never) event of a fall. I'm a warm weather rider and went with the Joe Rocket Phoenix 2 Mesh Pants off of eBay. I know there's better protection options than mesh pants, but it gets up to 90 degrees here regularly and I figured better to have pants I'll actually wear than ones I'll leave at home because they are just too hot and uncomfortable. Hope this helps :)

sammy56

Olympia makes great quality products as well. Not cheap, but very good quality. Any overpant you get should have a combo of mesh durable nylon and a removable warm and waterproof liner. Rarely will you ride in cold rain, but if it happens, you will likely not want to pull rain pants over already bulky gear. Without the liner, pulling rain pants over them should be no issue.

LB

djf18374

I am in the exact same situation. I bought Scorpion Deuce Overpants, and wear them over my dress pants to work, with my Shift Riding Shoes on and my dress shoes in the backpack. Works great, keeps me warm early in the morning, and take the liner out in the afternoon for the ride home. Water resistant too, and keeps the wind out. They have some large areas of mesh in the right areas for air flow if the liner is out. Only thing I don't enjoy is that it takes time to put all that gear on, but it is so worth it! Can't imagine what it would be like to go down without that armored clothing on... :eek:

dekaliber

My commute is only 10 minutes, so it takes me as much time to gear up and change at the office as it does to ride!

I actually went with straight-up riding pants (AGV Sport Solare) that I change out of at work. I keep a pair of dress shoes at my desk and bring my dress pants and belt. Overpants is probably a better idea, but I worry that it'd get too hot in the summer with 2 layers.

rahuljp

Thanks for ideas guys... I was thinking over pants would be the best ideas and having my dress shoes in a backpack or leaving them at my desk. My commute is also only 15 minutes.. but we'll see once I get the bike! Cant wait!!