Heated Grips -- Your Approach

What's the overall best option (price, ease of install, other) for winter hands?

• Heated grips

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Heated grip covers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heated gloves

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Heated glove inserts

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Under-the grip heating element kit

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Just good gloves

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters

SixRFixR

What about the tops of your hands? Heated grips can't help there, right? I'm using heated glove liners, sock liners and jacket. They work great, I can take them from bike to bike and the only mod to the bike is a power dongle off the battery.

iaminsider

I live in MN and ride in the fall and spring all the way down to upper 20's for temp... I have never even considered heated grips or the likes.... Do they really help that much? I have a pair of firstgear winter riding gloves and wool inserts and my hands stay pretty warm.

There are folks here from SoCal and FL who are using heated gear...... It just seems over kill down there... Forgive me for my ignorance.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

SixRFixR

There are folks here from SoCal and FL who are using heated gear...... It just seems over kill down there... Forgive me for my ignorance.
Well it did try to hit 90 yesterday, but it can just about hit freezing on a morning or two in the winter down here in the flats. The cold usually gets you in the mountains. I can do a 7,000 foot change in elevation in 20 minutes.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Maadi

Well I can't give you a comparison between your options, but I love my Firstgear heated glove liners. I have them and the jacket liner. I like the liners because I can choose which gloves I want to wear over them. I start wearing the liners at 50-55F and can go all the way to ~30F. The problem is I can't adjust the heat level on the fly, I have the controller (dual controller, gloves and jacket separately - awesome!) in my pocket and have to pull over to turn the dials. My husband is thinking a patch of velcro on the bike somewhere might do the trick.. We'll see.

SixRFixR

Well I can't give you a comparison between your options, but I love my Firstgear heated glove liners. I have them and the jacket liner. I like the liners because I can choose which gloves I want to wear over them. I start wearing the liners at 50-55F and can go all the way to ~30F. The problem is I can't adjust the heat level on the fly, I have the controller (dual controller, gloves and jacket separately - awesome!) in my pocket and have to pull over to turn the dials. My husband is thinking a patch of velcro on the bike somewhere might do the trick.. We'll see.
I also have the Firstgear heated gear. I sewed a velcro patch onto the top of the thigh of my overpants.

SixRFixR

I don't think they move. They're probably more likely to turn in your pocket. The knobs are easy to turn, though. If that becomes an issue a rubber band behind the knob would add plenty of friction to keep it in place. The top of the thigh is really unused territory. Some pilots will put a little clipboard there.

Superzoom

I've got the Oxford Sport grips. I have these on order:

MSR Moto Roost Deflectors. I am hoping that with the heated grips and the hand guards, I can get away with lighter gloves when it's cold out.

I also own a heated jacket liner. I find that when I use the jacket, my hands seldom get really cold, which tells me that keeping your core warm will in fact help with your extremities.

EvilCustoms

Oxford grips

I bought and installed the oxford heated grips and put the controller on the left side of my handle bars. I also bought gordini wind stopper gloves because before the top of my hands were getting cold. I cant tell you how great riding is now compared to stock grips. I paid 60 for the grips and 60 for the gloves. No excuse to ride now!