Headlight mounting

Piercebelton

I was wondering what everyone thinks the best solution is to mounting our stock headlight to the forks. Looking for something that wont cost too much or look bad either.

xezty

I think you'd have to pull up the parts charts for the XJ6. Unless you plan on custom fabrications...anything cheap like zip ties and duct tape will probably have your headlight wobbling too much and pissing people off in front of you...well...on second thought, it may get you more noticeable when behind cars?

yfz6r

I know this is old but an fz1 owner was able to mount a 6r headlight to his forks using simple brackets from lowes. Don't know the details but know it was done and looked great.

Cbye

I bought an FZ8 headlight bracket. Had to notch each side flang to bend it over so the headlight bolts would screw in. Not much fab at all and doesn't bounce at all! I know I know. Need to post pics. I'll try to get on that.

dste0395

Frost King.jpgNaked bike 3.jpg
I know this is old but an fz1 owner was able to mount a 6r headlight to his forks using simple brackets from lowes. Don't know the details but know it was done and looked great.
I used electrical brackets fro Lowe's and before mounting to the forks I used 1 sided sticky pipe wrap tape, you can find this in the plumbing section of lowes. I put he rubber sticky stuff (cut to be the same size as the clamp) before putting the metal bracket directly on to the fork. this cuts down on potential vibration and slippage. Worked great, but need to figure out how to correctly angle the headlamp down now they the headlight assembly is attached to the forks.

***Included a picture of the rubber stripping I used under the clamps.

Last edited:

Chevyfazer

I used pretty much the same thing but went a step further and made a "dash" they are called different things I've always called them, stand off Cush clamps.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341765243.571173.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341765253.916595.jpg

dste0395

I bought an FZ8 headlight bracket. Had to notch each side flang to bend it over so the headlight bolts would screw in. Not much fab at all and doesn't bounce at all! I know I know. Need to post pics. I'll try to get on that.
I just ordered the FZ8 headlight bracket and that is the last piece of my install is to fix the cluster. Can you please provide a picture of the way the bracket looks on the bike? If you did already then I apologize for posting this. :rolleyes:

felix77

View attachment 26677View attachment 26651

I used electrical brackets fro Lowe's and before mounting to the forks I used 1 sided sticky pipe wrap tape, you can find this in the plumbing section of lowes. I put he rubber sticky stuff (cut to be the same size as the clamp) before putting the metal bracket directly on to the fork. this cuts down on potential vibration and slippage. Worked great, but need to figure out how to correctly angle the headlamp down now they the headlight assembly is attached to the forks.

***Included a picture of the rubber stripping I used under the clamps.
So you used some conduit hanger clamps? Also, the bracket, where did you get that and are the gauges attached to that?

Sorry to bother, but nearly all the information on this forum is vague, for a beginner like me that is daunting. The viper exhaust information is terrible.

Last edited:

dste0395

I used the brackets that I purchased at Lowes, I believe if you review my posts I have the part numbers listed. I have some close up pictures of each of the steps, for the most part, such as attaching the instrument cluster to the two screws under the triple. Trying to locate the bracket part numbers I used for those. Purchased at home depot in the furniture department. I didn't end up using the FZ8 headlight and cluster mounting bracket, I ended up using all of the existing parts to the headlight assembly. In another post (I don't have many of them out there, so just look under my name), I also put a picture of the rubber stripping that I put behind the brackets before mounting to the forks.

FZ6R_Mike

I used smaller conduit clamps and put the cluster on the handle bars.

punisher

thanks i will check it out I've been wanting to street fighter mine but its my daily driver so i was trying to figure out how to do it before i started

punisher

would you be able to post a pic of the cluster so i can see how you did it? I'm hoping to get the parts and start asap

FZ6R_Mike

2012-08-15_13-00-40_100.jpg

2012-08-15_13-00-24_149.jpg

I just used the existing holes to mount the clamps to using the original screws.

dste0395

Turn Signals

FZRMike, where are your front turn signals and how did you mount those? I drilled a hole in the existing headlight assembly bracket and mounted my original turn signals. If you go this route you will have to take the plastic cap (that goes into the fairing) off, then take out a nut, then grind the metal bracket inside off so that the plastic piece holding the wiring assembly comes off, all without burning through the wiring harness with the grinder. It was a pain in the A@@ but it turned out good.

Attachments