Having the worst of luck !!!

itsjohn56

long story short, my FZ6R was stolen i got it back and it ran pretty bad you can hear it and see the whole story in my other post http://www.600cc.org/forum/f13/bastard-thieves-tore-my-up-my-little-girl-32715/

well the compression test i did told me the rings were bad so i bought some used pistons from a running bike and got new bearings and the compression was the same. so i just bought a whole used engine that was compression tested with 8k miles. when my bike wouldnt start with the new engine.... i did a compression test and it said 60psi same as my old eninge so i think the compression gauge was bad. it was from harbour frieght....ugh

i put it in and the bike wont even start it will turn over and barley start every once in a while and hold and idle at like 900 rpm for 3 seconds and die.
maybe the fuel pump ? because they drilled my gas tank cap and got metal shaving in the fuel pump, i cleaned it all out including the filter but maybe it was already damged from them? idk . im so stumped

you can hear it priming like normal when you turn on the key i put my ear to the tank and could hear i tiny bit of metallic scratching tapping sometimes ?

with the old engine it idled horrible but idled, but if you moved the throttle a hair the bike would die? i think that engine did have a spun bearing too though.

sorry for the rambling just trying to give as many detalis as possible :rolleyes::confused::banghead:

Last edited:

lizardsbba

If it roughly idled but would die when given throttle it sounds like a fuel supply issue. If metal shavings got into the pump it's very possible it could be partially plugged or the impeller could be damaged. If anything made it past the pump it could have plugged the injectors. First thing I would do is test the fuel pressure, you can rent a fuel pressure tester from kragen or autozone. Now fitting it to the bike is a different story, but your problem definitely sounds fuel related.

And sorry to hear about your circumstances....always sad to see another victim of thieving scumbags.

itsjohn56

whenever it idled before it cut off so smoothly if you turned the throttle at all . like almost nothing . it couldn’t be something electrical like tps or even the ecm??

Two votes on Checking the fuel pressure. On the FZ6 forum I've seen four cases of the pressure regulator getting debris in it which prevented the pump from reaching 36psi as it just leaks internally.

Verify pressure and if you have to pull the pump you can verify pump or regulator or pickup mesh being plugged.

Sorry about your misfortune on all accounts. Hang in there!

itsjohn56

got a fuel pressure test here are the results i just primed it 3 times, as it wont start went to 10 psi and dropped right back down to 0 when it stopped priming. here is the video! lol
https://vid.me/erAP
so bad fuel pump?!?!? new one on the way!!

davet7469

oh man thats rough man, hope it resolves, wish i knew what was wrong/ how to fix it, it might be unrelated, but i had an issue with my idle, cuz my clutch is all messed up, so when i would have the cable too far out, it would shut off, but pulled in more it would be fine.

got a fuel pressure test here are the results i just primed it 3 times, as it wont start went to 10 psi and dropped right back down to 0 when it stopped priming. here is the video! lol
https://vid.me/erAP
so bad fuel pump?!?!? new one on the way!!
I'm not sure what you're paying for a pump, but it comes apart easilly once out and seldom is it the electric motor/pump itself. More often its the pressure regulator stuck open with small debris in the seat. While out, plug the PR outlet. If pressure climbs to 70psi, clean the PR valve by back flowing it. With PR removed, Use high pressure water!
Even with air, the PR valve should hold to 36psi. Verify that!

Clean the pickup sock and check for leaks. Clip it back together and you might be ok!

lizardsbba

I'm not sure what you're paying for a pump, but it comes apart easilly once out and seldom is it the electric motor/pump itself. More often its the pressure regulator stuck open with small debris in the seat. While out, plug the PR outlet. If pressure climbs to 70psi, clean the PR valve by back flowing it. With PR removed, Use high pressure water!
Even with air, the PR valve should hold to 36psi. Verify that!

Clean the pickup sock and check for leaks. Clip it back together and you might be ok!
This is solid advice, was going to recommend checking the pressure regulator and lines for blockage. The chances that the pump impeller is damaged are very slim. I would hold off on replacing the pump itself until you can check the rest of the components for blockage or damage.

itsjohn56

i did already order a used one for 100$ :facepalm:but imma have to get inside and see if i can fix the one i have, thnx for the advice guys

What did you find? What did the tank look like inside?

itsjohn56

well shes blowing lots of blue smoke and trying to overheat now ...................... and when i got the bike back a while ago i cleaned the tank and the old fuel pumps filter like you told me in a post a while back so it was all clean when i replaced the pump, but when i first got it back it had handfulls of metal in it... and i havnt busted the old one apart yet to see if the regulator was clogged

Last edited:

itsjohn56

yeah it will get up to about 214F and the fan will bring it back down but then it will go to like 217F and come back down then it goes back up and it start to smoke bluish smoke and gets up 219F then started to go back down and i just turn it off. btw its like 55F outside so not even warm

Last edited:

itsjohn56

i didnt know your supposed to check the oil with the bike standing up so there was way to much oil in it thas probably why its burning . annnnd i gotta switch 2 radiator hoses cause im running the coolant system backwards............ so i jus gotta do those things and i bet it will be fixed sorry im wasting you guyses time -_- hey not toooo bad for my first bike rebuild lmao