Hard Trunk?

her24gl

A colleague of mine at work has a Ducati Multistrada, and put a hard Ducati trunk on the back end, via a nice bracket, which I assume all came together from Ducati. The bracket mounts the trunk off the end in the back, preserving the passenger seat space, and even has a little padded backrest on that side of the trunk.

I know it's a stretch, but does anyone know of such a thing for the FZ6R? Even though I don't plan to carry a passenger, the seat makes good space to bungee a bag. I bought a first gear riding back pack to hold my stuff including my laptop during my ride to work, but would like something that can stay on the bike without worries about stuff getting stolen out of it, or the bag itself being stolen. Yesterday, I took the backpack with me down to a friends for a short jaunt to a gym in a nearby town, and just used my bungee cargo net to anchor down the backpack to the seat. It's nicer not having to wear it on your back, when you don't have to. Also, easier to see the riding outfit!! LOL!

fz6rwolf

I haven't seen any so far as I've been looking for hard side bags (that look good LOL).

D

DaveOTZ

I use a Givi top box... They are pricey but I feel totally worth it...
They have custom brackets for the FZ... I can fit two helmets or my backback with laptop and ton of books (grad school)... just like in the supermarket... the laptop is the egg... eggs always on top...

her24gl

Dave,

I love the Givi E55; their new big box. Again though, nothing on the mounting bracket list for the "R", just your 6. Any thoughts on how the 6's back end compares to the R's?? Could I use the 6's mounting bracket, or would I have to wait until they make one for the R?

D

DaveOTZ

Sorry Ive been doing papers all weekend and didn't notice the "R"

I did some searching and got a big goose egg too. I did see a universal fit though, but with so much less to grab on I would ask a parts person for some help... Putting on the brackets that were supposed to fit perfectly was enough work in itself... They needed some bending before they fit... There has to be some way though...

Baldric

Hi,

I just got an FZ6R and bought the OEM hard trunk that Yamaha was showing as available on their website. I picked it up at the Yamaha dealer and attempted to fit it right there as I was on the bike. Turns out that it is designed to fit onto the grab rail of the FZ6 - not the FZ6R. FZ6 and FZ6R have quite different grabrails and attachement points. I have since contacted Yamaha and obtained notification that they don't currently have a hard trunk available for the FZ6R.

I did also contact Givi a while back and got confirmation that they don't have a hard trunk at this time for the FZ6R.

Cheers
Baldric

Baldric

Took a bit of digging but I finally received confirmation from Givi Italy that the new XJ6 Diversion '09 in Europe has the same rear seat and grab rail configuration as the FZ6R '09.

They have just released the FZ364 Monorack and PLXR364 Tubular side rack for the Diversion and confirmed it will fit the FZ6R as well. The side rack fits the V35 bags and the top box plate fits a range of different trunks, including the E55.

The distributor in Canada is getting them in and the details are now on their website. I have ordered a set for my bike and it should arrive mid-June. http://www.givi.ca/en/index.php

her24gl

Took a bit of digging but I finally received confirmation from Givi Italy that the new XJ6 Diversion '09 in Europe has the same rear seat and grab rail configuration as the FZ6R '09.

They have just released the FZ364 Monorack and PLXR364 Tubular side rack for the Diversion and confirmed it will fit the FZ6R as well. The side rack fits the V35 bags and the top box plate fits a range of different trunks, including the E55.

The distributor in Canada is getting them in and the details are now on their website. I have ordered a set for my bike and it should arrive mid-June. GIVI.CA

AWESOME!!!! Thanks for digging. I actually just went to the web site, and they've got it programmed into their site for the Yamaha FZ6R now. I couldn't find the XJ6 Diversion, only the XJ6 600 Diversion. Given the naming differences with the FZ6/R's I didn't assume it was the same bike. Interesting how the Canadian and the USA sites are so different. The USA site doesn't list the FZ6R at all yet. The Canadian site was much easier to use. Will have to get one ordered as well; don't know if I can do it from the ca site or will have to try to deal with the US guys. You'll probably get yours first, so post photos!!!! *grin*

:rockon:

her24gl

Baldric,

Not sure what's going on. I emailed Givi-usa about the mounting bracket, and told him about the Canadian web site. A guy named Craig replied back and said that from what they can tell, the two bikes are not the same, and that the bracket that Givi-Canada is saying will work, won't. I have asked him to contact Givi-Canada and discuss it, but I'm not holding my breath. I guess they only way we'll know is when yours arrives. If you're able to get it to work, PLEASE let me know (email or here is fine.) I'll get it from Givi-Canada if I have to.

Thanks a million,
Julie

:confused:

Baldric

Hi Julie,

They are different bikes but have the same rear seat and grab rail configuration. I received confirmation via email from GIVI in Italy that it will work and the guy from GIVI Canada (Eric Ferland) also received the same confirmation. Tell Craig from the US to contact him.

Down side is there has been a delay in shipping so will be taking a bit longer to arrive than I hoped, and we are heading off for a three month trip at the end of June! Really hoping they arrive before then.....

Cheers, Baldric.

Baldric

Hi Julie,

Finally got the hard bags and rack from GIVI on Saturday and they fit!!! I also think they look pretty good, although I ended up going with the E46 trunk rather than the E55 as it would have looked too big.
It took a couple of hours to fit the racks, but was very easy. The best thing is that the side racks are quick release so you can take them off when you don't want them on the motorcycle.
Attached are a couple of photos of the bike.

Cheers, Baldric.

MNDZA

I like the side bags.....BUT I think this won't work with a FE.

V

vdbergj1

The best thing is that the side racks are quick release so you can take them off when you don't want them on the motorcycle.
Thanx Baldic for all the information :thumbup: It looks really good. Do you maybe have a photo with the side bags off - to show the naked railings?

D

dean owens

Baldric,

Not sure what's going on. I emailed Givi-usa about the mounting bracket, and told him about the Canadian web site. A guy named Craig replied back and said that from what they can tell, the two bikes are not the same, and that the bracket that Givi-Canada is saying will work, won't. I have asked him to contact Givi-Canada and discuss it, but I'm not holding my breath. I guess they only way we'll know is when yours arrives. If you're able to get it to work, PLEASE let me know (email or here is fine.) I'll get it from Givi-Canada if I have to.

Thanks a million,
Julie

:confused:
i hate to say it, but i'm not sure givi has everyone on the same page. i got a top rack from someone on this site but i didn't have any mounting hardware for it. i contacted givi to see what i needed to do to get it. got an email to get a 351kit and that i can get it from any givi dealer. contacted my local bike dealership and they had no clue what i was talking about. they contacted givi and givi said that they sold nothing that would help me mount my rack. i eventually just went online and bought it because i couldn't get it through my dealership.

it's now obvious that it works. i'd just tell them that you want it and if it doesn't fit ;) you won't try to return it.

i would think with a company that sells things that cost so much that they would have a better understanding of their products.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
From the pictures, it looks like it is mounted under the grabrail. Is this true? In which case it bolts to the rear using the fender mounts and the grabrail?

MNDZA

The reason why I'm saying it won't work with a FE is because the stock fender sticks out a lot so it clears the hard cases. With a FE, I believe the turn signals will hit the cases.

D

dean owens

The reason why I'm saying it won't work with a FE is because the stock fender sticks out a lot so it clears the hard cases. With a FE, I believe the turn signals will hit the cases.
it also looks like it has a mount under the fender. not sure if it mounts to the fender or not. but i would think that if you're going to use these bags you need to stick with the stock setup.