GPS mounted an connected

k6gad

Finally got my GPS on the bike.
Purchased a Tech-Mount, Ram OEM cradle, Garmin wiring harness. Pulled tail light, cut insulation, exposed wires (blue is the positive), (black is the negative). Cut off unused Garmin wires, saved the power black, red and fuse. Fabricated connector and soldered it to the tail light wiring. Closed it all up with electric tape. Connected Garmin harness and threaded wire under seat, and between tank and frame. Secured it with zip ties. Turned the key and BAM have power to the Garmin 205W, cool! Now some pics.....

Attachments

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

TO me and I am sure plenty others , GPS units are a thing of the past , a dinosaur as far as technology is concerned , my cell phone has a better GPS than most units .
So would like to see newer bikes have cell phone holders , ditch the GPS it is ancient technology .
I have turn by turn and walking directions all in one device , not to mention a sky map as well and can make calls .
My $.02

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

Most Google GPS works with out cell signal (guess I was wrong , you do need signal for maps to load but the phone does use GPS satellites for position not cell towers only ), poor iPhone , Droids don't need cell signal (well apparently it does seems it caches maps ) , (stay away from VZ Navigator no need with Google Maps ) . :D
I agree power is essential for devices and would be a welcome addition . :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

toddjcruz

See, when I'm out of the signal area, my maps don't update. I cant use the mapping feature unless I have my 3G signal. And most of the places I go, I don't have 3G signal, so, no maps!

Also, I've found even the cheapest GPS system to work faster and better than my HTC Evo. The screen is larger, the map works better zooming in and such. When I do stuff like this on my phone, there is this lag while the system pulls more mapping data off the 3G network.

Anyway to download and have the data local to the phone?

sltwhr

I bought these 2 things for $5 each. They work perfect. I can run power to my gps or charge my phone or iPod on the bike.

Attachments

Y

yellowfz

See, when I'm out of the signal area, my maps don't update. I cant use the mapping feature unless I have my 3G signal. And most of the places I go, I don't have 3G signal, so, no maps!

Also, I've found even the cheapest GPS system to work faster and better than my HTC Evo. The screen is larger, the map works better zooming in and such. When I do stuff like this on my phone, there is this lag while the system pulls more mapping data off the 3G network.

Anyway to download and have the data local to the phone?
Yes you can put Maps on your SD card .
I find it cool when I can surf the internet and find a place I want , long press on the address and navigate to it through Google Maps , no typing involved , just press and select . Then if I am out somewhere and take a walk in the woods or hike down a trail and find something , pull out the old cell , pin it or in town I can walk to places from the map .
Trust me we have GPSs that just set now , useless since we are now proficient in Google Maps .
2010 , time let go of old technology . My $0.2
Oh here you go : http://www.mapdroyd.com/

Last edited by a moderator: