Got a ticket...

Stephenfz6r

I believe that the integrated turn signals do not meet any recognized standard. I think we can make up all kinds of excuses for using them but the fact remains that they are inferior to the approved OEM turn signals installed on the bike. We know it and so do the police and when you get in front of the judge he is going to figure that out also. :surrender:

toddjcruz

I follow a basic rule about any mod to my car or bike. Function before form. I won't put anything on my bike just for the purpose of making it 'look' better. If I'm spending money on something, it better perform a function. A lot of the stock items are there specificaly for function as much as form. Ugly mirrors? Hell, they work great because I can use them to see AROUND me when I use them. Ugly, yeah, in a way. But I wouldnt replace them just to make them look better unless the new ones were going to work better.

Turn signals? They need to clearly show intent so that people don't mess up and do something expecting me to do something else. So, keeping them far appart so people can clearly see my intent, works for me.

Spunky99

With all vehicle safety items, there is compromise between perfection, fit form and functionality and the bureaucracy that approves and enforces the rules.

We have the lighting and safety items that we have because Yamaha interpreted the laws and the interpretation was approved. It does not mean that the interpretation was the best or was poor in it's implementation.
Look at a Ducati...it meets the State and federal standards does it not?
The front turn signals are integrated into the mirrors and the rear turn signals may be 9" apart and maybe not....I'd have to actually measure them because they sure look narrower than 9". It is a beautiful implementation of fit form and function and is legal in all 50 states.

If you want your FZ6R to have a sleeker look like a Ducati and you modify it to achieve this, it may be within the State and Federal laws but has not been approved in this configuration so it is still technically illegal. The bike needs to be approved in it's present form and the cost to do that is more than we are going to pay. The bureaucracy is insane.....
Changing the mirrors, horn, signals, handlebars or any other thing is technically illegal because the DOT did not approve this configuration on this particular model bike. You are lucky you don't have to stay with the stock tires.....

Do what you want for whatever reason you want to the bike. It doesn't matter how you justify it as it is technically still illegal no matter what.
If ticketed, return the violating items to stock, get it signed off and then either leave it stock of modify it again. It is your choice and you have the right to justify putting on ape hanger handlebars if that is what you want. Remove the chain guard and shred your jeans or get chain raped if that's what you want to do. Put the license plate behind the rear shock, on the rear axel with no lighting or on a long stick 20 feet high mounted on the rear cowl if that is what floats your boat. Put on skinny little slick tires if you want, run with red white and blue lights flashing if you want or a 6 foot USA flag on a pole. The choice is yours and you don't have to justify what you do to anyone.

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

ry-mac75

if the cops would enforce the use of turn signals more, I wouldn't mind these kinds of tickets... but when I get cut off by police and others when police are right there and there is no signal used... I'd be fumed if I got a ticket for a "equipment missing"....

fortunately in VA, no signals are required... we have hands and hand signals meet the requirements
for serious?