Go pros for everyone

Therzdae

Where have yall mounted the go pro's ? pictures? on bike or on helmet?

I have mine I use on my helmet for snowboarding/skiing or mountain bike riding... after reading all this I am going to buy a mount for my motorcycle as well just thinking some ideas that y'all have done.

THANKS!

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

BoneJj

Since GoPro's use full sized SD cards, it would be an issue for most of us. I'm guessing that your Sony cam uses microSD's?
both my sony and contour use micro sd. I rather like the sony because of the image stabilization but I would much more like it if it didn't get so damn hot after only 40 minutes of use... The thing is cooking at that point but the video it gives is so good and clear it's awesome.

They just need to dissipate their heat better.

I have the AS30V which is a little older model and the current one is the AS100V. IDK if it has the same heat issues. It would be nice if it didn't but also it would be even better if it had a rotating lens... but I don't know that they have done that just yet. though you can invert the video in camera for when mounting it upside down.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

BoneJj

Where's the best place besides helmet to mount a camera? I already have my sena on my helmet. Don't really want another thing on there, but want a good view. Think someone said they keep theirs in front of their windscreen. Seems it would be ideal. Could always take it off and just aim it at someone (cop or whoever)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
I have a MotorCycleLarry.com, Wholesale Parts Factory Direct stem nut replacement on my bike that I then have mounted a set of RAM mounts to and I mount my sony right there, it makes for a good view and also gets pretty good video due to the image stabilization built into that cam.

RAM has a stem nut adapter that may work for your bike though but just remember to use a good bit of force when fitting their's as it will loosen over time if you don't.

There are many youtube videos on the subject so no need for me to go into detail on it.

Also a simple fairing mount with a suction based device is a good option, just remember to always have a tether to the camera so if the suction fails or mount of any kind (adhesive) fails then you wont have a trashed camera.

Always tether your camera/gear on a bike.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

FastFreddy

I assume everyone is going to pull out if there's a chance for them to do so. Even if they look right at you and you know they can see you. So you have to know your emergency stop distances and slow down when going past places where people can pull out on you.

That's why tailgaters give the shits the most, because you have to assume they'll hit you if someone does pull out and they aren't looking. I've got to admit getting a belly laugh after telling someone he's too close behind and the reaction time means its dangerous for him to start swearing at me, then 5 mins down the road he got hit from behind at the exact moment he was going past me and sticking his finger up and swearing at me. The next day I backed into a BMW, so maybe I shouldn't have laughed so loudly. (I have to pay to fix their car now)

Even if the light is green, get the hands and toes ready to go on the brakes and visually look if anyone is coming.

BoneJj

I have a stem nut mount for my ram mount X grip. I have a dark smoke screen so needs to be on the other side. Just afraid a suction mount may let loose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
You can get a longer RAM arm to get over the top edge of the windscreen

but yeah like I said for a suction mount or anything that's not bolted down be sure to tether the camera to the bike. That way it if does let loose then you won't loose the camera. get a good suction mount and mount to as flat as a surface as possible and there should be no issues.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

aarone0302

I've got a gopro. 300$ it's one of the nicer ones. The video quality is pretty nice. 300$ is a lot for a little camera. But it's totally worth it for the proof of what happened. There's nothing to argue if it's on video. After an accident. That 300$ pays itself off. No doubt about that. Knock on wood, been riding 3 years. Still no accidents. But deffinately a few close calls.

adamo3957

Just as an fyi, don't know about USA but in western Australia if the cops pull you over they are allowed to check your go pro footage

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

adamo3957

illegal search and seizure... ah, good old USA
That's what I thought it would come under as well however, as you have been detained for a suspected offence a warrant is not required to review the footage of the go pro for proof of said offence

BoneJj

Thanks Jeff! I like some of the sony cams, but since you say yours runs so hot I am a little leery. I am not paying $200+ for a gopro when there are tons of very comparable cameras on the market much cheaper. I just want it for safety/cop reasons. Don't plan on making any youtube videos or anything. Anyone have any suggestions for good cameras at decent prices?
well, you could get an older gopro off of ebay, it would be a decent buy.

And yeah, That's the one thing I don't like about the sony model, but it does perform really well. it takes a good 35-40 minutes for it to get noticeably hot. it will actually shut down after it gets too hot but I've never run it long enough to get that hot.

As for cheap but good cameras. maybe check out an older model of the Drift line of cameras, those are pretty awesome cameras. I haven't used one myself though so I can't say much to personal experience with them but their features, layout and so on seem to be a favorite among a lot of people on bikes.

Contour was awesome until they went under...

Midland is a trusted brand in a lot of respects:
Midland XTC280VP1080p HD Wearable Action Camera with Image Stabilization, Submersible Case and Universal Mount (Black/Silver)

and they seem to have image stabilization as well, not a bad price....

That might be exactly what you are looking for right there...

It looks like midland picked up right where contour left off, they have a lot of the same features, including rotating lens, back panel access for settings and a whole host of other features, plus the nice 3 mounting locations and a few other features. I might have to get one of the midlands to test out myself.

Last edited:

BoneJj

That's what I thought it would come under as well however, as you have been detained for a suspected offence a warrant is not required to review the footage of the go pro for proof of said offence
here it's different, they have to have a warrant to do such things or at least justifiable cause and it's really easy to get that thrown own in court a lot of the time.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member