Gas fillup issues

r0bot

Hey guys,
So I have had my FZ6R for about 2 weeks now and everything had been great on the bike other than when I need to get gas. The manual lists the bike as having a 4.6 gallon tank, first time I took it to fill up I had 2 bars left of gas on the indicator (should be below half full). This would seem like to me it would take 2.3 gallons or more of gas but it took 1.5 or so. Next time I filled it up it was at 1 bar and it took 2.2 gallons. Is there something I am missing here? I have filled it up both times while on the side stand, but the last time I even tried sitting on the bike and balancing it and it still wouldnt fill anymore (auto shutoff from the pump). Looking into the gas tank it appears full but still 1-1.5 inches below the fill cap as the manual describes. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Daryl

C

CZAR357

Dont know about the R but on the regular FZ6 if you have two bars left, you really have 3. the 2 showing stay solid they once down to 1 bar it will stay at 1 bar for a while then go to a blinking 1 bar.

Y

YamahaMAXdRPMs

i never rely on the auto pump kill... i just put the nozzle in and fill it to the top, watching it the whole time, im always afraid its not gonna cut off and spew gas all over the bike...

<rant>happened in my moms car after going inside to get a soda, she came back to find gas spewing down the side of her car, kill switch on the pump was faulty... then they said it was her fault for not being next to the pump, not their fault for having a faulty cut off switch (that they admitted to being aware of)... so she called and reported them for poisoning the bay and polluting near by streams (which they were) and they were shut down hehe </rant>

A

abacall

I have filled it up both times while on the side stand, but the last time I even tried sitting on the bike and balancing it and it still wouldnt fill anymore (auto shutoff from the pump).

Looking into the gas tank it appears full but still 1-1.5 inches below the fill cap as the manual describes. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
I highly discourage you from balancing your bike while filling. You can easily drop it, spill gas, and possibly spark the fumes. Don't do it. :eek:

I usually fill to within .5 in of the filler neck. Remember that the reading is not perfect, the more you ride it the more you will familiarize yourself with its quirks.

MNDZA

I fill until the gas is level with the hole while on the side stand.

xplodnstar

There's actually a "reserve" in the 6R. Although it's not a separate tank, there is an indicator that shows you when you're down to the last bit of gas.

Once the 6 bars are gone, the F-Trip odometer starts counting up and the last bar starts flashing. That shows that you are on the last .8 gallons or so (I forget the number from the manual) and should find a filling station.

I have gone up to 21 miles on the "reserve" before, but I was really worried about it. I still didn't fill up more than about 4.5 gallons, though. I could have gone farther if I wanted to call AAA. :)

Generally I fill up when I'm on the last bar or the "reserve" depending on how long my next trip will be and if I want to HAVE to get up early for work the next day just to fill up.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the last bar flashes, when .8 gallons remains in the tank. I can usually put 3-3.5 gallons in at this point.

T

Tailgate

I noticed you're in CA where we have the awkward vapor recovery nozzles. Best thing, I find, is to while mounted, plant both feet (can't accidentally bump bike over or have bike slip on sidestand not fully engaged, etc) on the ground while filling. I manually hold the rubber boot up with one hand so it won't auto shut-off before it's filled to capacity. Most (many?) fill up this way around here. There's been a huge thread on gassing a FZ6 with all the accompanying controversy (i.e., don't sit and fill, stand and fill, have extinguisher nearby, alert fire dep't before filling, etc.). And, if I remember, maybe a YouTube on some motorists in a fill-up explosion scene too.

S

SovietRobot

The CA bikes do have less capacity, which sucks.
On my regular FZ6, if there's 2 bars left, I'm lucky to fit 3 gallons in it.

99% of the time I fill it on the sidestand, leaned towards the pump.
The times I've done it on the center stand, or balancing the bike level, I only got a tiny bit more gas in than on the sidestand, not worth the effort.

phantomxc

I do the same thing as MNDZA, I fill until the gas hits the top while it's on the side stand. However, I have started to notice if I'm at one bar and I take a sharper turn out of my neighborhood it will actually loose power temporarily. Gas must be sloshing around :(.

phocoyote7

I filled up at one bar and got around 3 gallons in as well. I was wondering though how everyone else is doing gas milage wise. From when I purchased from dealer was almost full, rode back and forth to work, and 60 something miles later was down to one bar which would be roughly 21 miles to gallon give or take. Since this is first bike not sure gas milage gets better the more it gets broken in? believe they state 42 miles per gallon (which I know isn't always accurate).

B

Bates121

I gotta agree with soviet on the center stand I tried that and the extra gas just aint worht the effort it was like .1 to .2 gallons tops. Besides it shouldnt matter how much gas you fit in the tank as long as your getting around 40-50 mpg (depends on your riding style and mods also I only know about the fz6 not fz6r) and congrats on the new bike enjoy:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

fz6rwolf

I filled up at one bar and got around 3 gallons in as well. I was wondering though how everyone else is doing gas milage wise. From when I purchased from dealer was almost full, rode back and forth to work, and 60 something miles later was down to one bar which would be roughly 21 miles to gallon give or take. Since this is first bike not sure gas milage gets better the more it gets broken in? believe they state 42 miles per gallon (which I know isn't always accurate).
Before 1st service was getting around 43mpg, now anywhere from 48-50mpg. How you're getting 21mpg I don't know, even riding REAL aggressively I can't imagine that low.

S

shreveport1

Daryl,you are way over thinkin this.....just put some gas in it and ride.....relax and enjoy yourself man, you've got a super cool bike!!! put some miles on it ,and just have fun!!:D:rockon:

fz6recon

I have also noticed that I was only getting around 20-21 mpg on my brand new fz6r...glad to hear I'm not the only one...I've only had it for about 2 weeks and I was wondering if maybe it had to do with how I'm riding it....

r0bot

I have also only been noticing the 24-30 MPG range. Still under my 600 miles and first service through, plus since my first bike probably not yet the smoothest rider.

@shreveport1, haha I'm trying man but don't enjoy filling up ever 2-3 days =)

phocoyote7

I have also noticed that I was only getting around 20-21 mpg on my brand new fz6r...glad to hear I'm not the only one...I've only had it for about 2 weeks and I was wondering if maybe it had to do with how I'm riding it....
It is good to hear similar things, I have also goosed it a few times here and there thinking that might be the cause. Haven't been on a long ride yet, just commuting back and forth to work. I will watch more closely the next few fill ups and get a more accurate reading. Maybe a long ride will prove differently. :rockon:

wrightme43

Admin of Socks & Puppets
bikes get horrible gas milage when accel and decel is frequent. Commuting to work I get in the low 30s on a long ride I get in the low to mid 40s sometimes higher.

L

LERecords

I stick the nozzle in when the bike is on its side stand and just let it go untill it auto clicks off.. then its full... i dont try to put as much as humanly possible... besides, i have heard of issues if you try to overfill it.. and i would say my mpg's are about the same a writeman's.... oh and i always fill with either 91 or 93... nothing lower than 91... and no, i dont care that im paying maybe a 1$ extra for fillups

phocoyote7

oh and i always fill with either 91 or 93... nothing lower than 91... and no, i dont care that im paying maybe a 1$ extra for fillups
I made the commitment as well to fill up with highest quality since it's only a 4.5 gallon tank..... just have to eat one less cheesburger :D