FZ6R throttle overrun

RZ350 Rider

Does your FZ6R have any overrun when closing the throttle? I've been riding since 1974, and the throttle on my FZ6R is like a light switch. When I close it to shift the rpms go to idle instantly. It caught me by surprise at first. Anyone else notice this?

RZ350 Rider

L

LERecords

i would asume that you just dont have to let go of the gas as much.. now could be dangerous for people that dont realize that you still have to give it "less" throttle when shifting.. just ease up on the throttle when you shift.. or let it go and give it a little bit before letting the clutch back out slowly.. yo'll get the hang of it :)...

oh and what is an rz350??? dirt bike or quad??

oh oh .. and :welcome: to the forum

M

MarinaFazer

yea..the engines rev very high very quick. Sounds normal. I don't close the throttle all the way when shifting. Just a slight blip that's quick enough to bump the lever (and use the clutch when not hauling booty)

RZ350 Rider

All the bikes I've ever owned, plus my cars, when you rev the engine then let off the gas, it takes a sec or two for the engine to slow to idle. On my FZ6R (has only 130 miles so far, maybe that's why but well see) when I let go of the throttle to goes to idle instantly. Just feels funny to me and makes it hard to be smooth. I wonder if it's a fuel injection thing. My RZ350 is from 1984 and is a 2 stroke street bike with almost as many horses as the FZ6R. It's highly worked. Sounds like a Grand Prix bike and can make the hair stand up on the back of your neck, and can terrorize the neighborhood depending on how high I rev it. It kinda bucks and pops at light throttle too and scares little kids and older folks. Thanks for the welcome to the forum too!

MNDZA

Yeah my bike is the same way....immediately goes to idle when I close the throttle.

RZ350 Rider

Yeah my bike is the same way....immediately goes to idle when I close the throttle.
Thanks MNDZA! I guess it a fuel injection thing then and very normal. I'm glad I found this site, it's kinda like Glock Talk, filled with info and awesome people.

The Motorcycle Boy

MNDZA

Thanks MNDZA! I guess it a fuel injection thing then and very normal. I'm glad I found this site, it's kinda like Glock Talk, filled with info and awesome people.

The Motorcycle Boy
Hey I'm registered on Glock Talk too....but haven't been on in a while.

phantomxc

I noticed this for the first time a couple days ago with about 550 miles so far. I was shifting like normal and all of a sudden I just lurched forward and the RPMs dropped to almost nothing. I had thought the engine died it jumped so bad. Gassed it up a bit to make sure all was good and continued on. Next gear, same thing. Weird thing is I always give it gas when I'm shifting.

fz6rwolf

I don't think I ever completely let off the throttle whie shifting, makes for smoother shifts I think.

W

wolfc70

All the bikes I've ever owned, plus my cars, when you rev the engine then let off the gas, it takes a sec or two for the engine to slow to idle. On my FZ6R (has only 130 miles so far, maybe that's why but well see) when I let go of the throttle to goes to idle instantly. Just feels funny to me and makes it hard to be smooth. I wonder if it's a fuel injection thing. My RZ350 is from 1984 and is a 2 stroke street bike with almost as many horses as the FZ6R. It's highly worked. Sounds like a Grand Prix bike and can make the hair stand up on the back of your neck, and can terrorize the neighborhood depending on how high I rev it. It kinda bucks and pops at light throttle too and scares little kids and older folks. Thanks for the welcome to the forum too!
Hey :welcome:.

Yup it is normal on the FZ6/R6 derived engines. The reason that cars do not drop to idle has to do with emissions. Anytime you suddenly close the throttle, not all fuel in the cylinders gets burned (less air). So then your hydrocarbon emissions sipkes greatly. To counter this, the ECU keeps the throttle open a bit longer to gradually drop the revs. Some times this is frustrating, as the engine can seem to "hang" when you shift. The late '90's Mercury Cougar v6 was known for this feat, and Ford ended up reflashing the ECU to make revs drop a little quicker.

Now that you have absorbed that useless info, lets look at bikes! Since bikes have less restrict emissions standards, when you close the throttle, the engine just goes to idle. It drops quickly due to two factors: very little rotating mass and high compression ratios. 600 cc bikes have very light internals that allow the high redlines, also means quick throttle response. Mass in motion tends to stay in motion rule applys here. The over 12:1 compression ratios also mean that when you are not on the throttle, the engine is a giant air compressor, so it slows down quickly. It will get better with some miles, but it will never respond like a car.

Hope everyone stayed awake though this barrage of information!

RZ350 Rider

On the ride to work today I followed you'ze guys advice and found it much improved. It'll take a little getting used to, but makes a world of difference. Thanks guys.

RZ350 Rider

L

LERecords

glad to hear everything is cool... yea.. it takes practice to learn the ins'outs of the throttle, but after a few hundred miles, you'll be a master at it.. good luck, and post up some pictures of the new bike :)

RZ350 Rider

Hey :welcome:.

Yup it is normal on the FZ6/R6 derived engines. The reason that cars do not drop to idle has to do with emissions. Anytime you suddenly close the throttle, not all fuel in the cylinders gets burned (less air). So then your hydrocarbon emissions sipkes greatly. To counter this, the ECU keeps the throttle open a bit longer to gradually drop the revs. Some times this is frustrating, as the engine can seem to "hang" when you shift. The late '90's Mercury Cougar v6 was known for this feat, and Ford ended up reflashing the ECU to make revs drop a little quicker.

Now that you have absorbed that useless info, lets look at bikes! Since bikes have less restrict emissions standards, when you close the throttle, the engine just goes to idle. It drops quickly due to two factors: very little rotating mass and high compression ratios. 600 cc bikes have very light internals that allow the high redlines, also means quick throttle response. Mass in motion tends to stay in motion rule applys here. The over 12:1 compression ratios also mean that when you are not on the throttle, the engine is a giant air compressor, so it slows down quickly. It will get better with some miles, but it will never respond like a car.

Hope everyone stayed awake though this barrage of information!
Wolfc70, Makes tons of sense dude. Now that I think about it, it's like the Sprint Cars that run here in Pennsy, no flywheel, just an in-out box and a very high compression ratio makes for instant response to the pedal, just like the bike. Thanks for the welcome also.

RZ350 Rider

M

MarinaFazer

I noticed this for the first time a couple days ago with about 550 miles so far. I was shifting like normal and all of a sudden I just lurched forward and the RPMs dropped to almost nothing. I had thought the engine died it jumped so bad. Gassed it up a bit to make sure all was good and continued on. Next gear, same thing. Weird thing is I always give it gas when I'm shifting.
you want to let off the gas when shifting. Just a blip of the wrist and enough time to let you shift. Then give it gas and let out clutch simultaneously.

You give it gas while downshifting. :thumbup:

phantomxc

you want to let off the gas when shifting. Just a blip of the wrist and enough time to let you shift. Then give it gas and let out clutch simultaneously.

You give it gas while downshifting. :thumbup:

That's what I meant, just a little gas when releasing the clutch to keep the shifting smooth between gears. This is what I always do but still had the jumping issue. Maybe my gloves were just slipping and I didn't give it enough gas when letting the clutch out. Important thing, it's working fine now :rockon:

B

blaxx

I've found, in the short time I have had my FZ6R that moving the RPM's to a higher range seems to really help smooth out the shifting. Not moving the RPM's up like your hauling a$$, but just upshifting in a higher part of the RPM band.
I am quickly learning these little 600cc engines seem to shine in the upper RPM range, down low, there OK, just not a peppy and smooth. (for example, below 4 to 5K)

RZ350 Rider

It's good to know it's normal. I've never had a Fuel Injected bike before this one and I would imagine with only 175 miles on the engine it would be tight.

Rz350 Rider

spacemonkey

i notice it mostly when im riding along and try to adjust my glove or something, the engine breaks and slows the bike very quickly, crusing around 60 it will drop at least 10 mph in a couple seconds, good when i see a cop ahead cuz i hardly use breaks to slow. when shifting i guess that could be a problem, i just shift too quick to notice.