FZ6 a good starter bike???

atticuss66

Hi all ....as the title states, just wondering how good of a starter bike this would be. Looking at used 2005-2007 for the cheaper insurance and price of course:D
I have read some good reveiws for this bike and alot of them state that it is a forgiving bike.

I am also looking at the Ninja 300...excellent reveiws but I feel I may out grow it too soon. But quite possibly a better bike to learn on.

Maadi

Hi, and welcome to the forum!
You pretty much nailed it on the head right there. Ninja 300 would probably be a great starter bike and you will most likely grow out of it in a season. It is usually a good idea to start with an older, used bike because it won't feel so bad if you drop it.. And less cc's usually means lighter, which makes it easier to correct balance mistakes.
Having said that, the FZ6R is a great bike, and my first sport -style bike (had a V-star 650 for 7 years) and I absolutely love it. I feel it has plenty of power for any type riding I will ever do. I have found out the hard way that it is quite top heavy, like a lot of people on the forum will tell you, so if you are not ready for it, it might over balance you. In my opinion you could have it as your first bike, as long as you take it seriously and practice, practice, practice... :D

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Rich007

I have had my FZ6R for about a week and would rate it as a intermediate bike. I have had a cruiser in the past and ridden dirt bikes even more in the past. My 23 year old son asked me the other day if it was the bike for him to learn on and I told him to get used to ridding something a little smaller.
I would say if you have dirt bike experience then you'd probably be fine for a long time.

atticuss66

thanks for replies...I wish my insurance was cheap like some of u...130.00 to 150.00 per month( ontario canada)

Looking used... I would hate to drop a new bike, plus used bike dont depreciate as fast as new..

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

oldtouring b

some thoughts

It seems that the Canadian government is doing their best to remove all motorcycles from the road. How much does it cost to licence your bike? Insurance is $150 a month!! That's what I pay per year..

Well anyway it would make good sence to start off on a 250 or 500 that is used. Ride it for 6 months and then move up. If you buy the 250 right , you will recoup all your money. When I look at the FZ6R fairing that will require serious money if a drop occurs.

Just take a moment and rethink your plan. If everything is pointing at a motorcycle costing you more than a car then maybe a Miata might work..

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I think it depends on you. how disciplined are you not to gun it and take your time to learn the bike and grow into rather than just jumping on it and thinking your some pro. even after months maybe years, you have to be fully focused and not dumb. An rr is probably dumb anyway lol, but a fz6r would be a good bike if you don't fall under peer pressure of showing out or just trying to do things that you know you shouldn't. HOWEVER, I think if you've never been on a dirtbike, motorcycle, or anything of such, or a manual, then maybe an older bike is a better fit, of course until your used to all the bike ways... if you will.:welcome:

EsrTek

I had a ninja 250 for about 3 yrs and yes you will outgrow it's power within weeks. It's pure awesome if you live by twisty backroads. Interstate/Expressway(s), I hated the bike it would vibrate my lower half numb in 20mins.
Fz6r is what I moved up to and do not suggest starting from scratch on it. It may not be a SS, but it still has triple the power/torque of a 250.

Honda has some nice new bikes that are prefect for starters that you won't get bored with in 2 weeks..and they have a few versions of it per your taste.
The CB500R would be my suggestion if you want new...Ninja 500 if you want cheaper.

linkgt

The Fz6r is my first bike. I'd say go for it. It's pretty much a perfect starter bike. It's not scary like an SS bike and you will get used to the power in few weeks time.

I will highly suggest to take the MSF course, read Total control, etc and gain knowledge on HOW to ride and improve.