FZ1 or Triumph Tiger or KTM SM T

Manna69247

Please bare with me - I'm frequenting all FZx-Forums and would post this on each one of them because I'll get a variety of opinions.
I've been here frequently for the past year and half. After I sold my 2008 FZ6 S2 (which I loved) last year I was bike-less for almost year. I was waiting and dreaming, but now I can make my final decision because I'll have the money in the next 2 months. I know it is my choice in the end but would like to know other members comments.

I've got 3 sport tourers on my short list because of the price (ZAR125,000 - exchange $16,500), versatility and looks. The BMW GS is (for me) more of a dual purpose on/off road and I like something different and there is soooo many GS's on South Africa rounds.

My wife don't want to hear anything but FZ1 (talking about being biased), but said it is my choice in the end as long as it is comfortable for a pillion. She hate the KTM's looks but I see more than she does.

My short list is:
ZAR125,000 - $16,500
FZ1 Fazer
Engine: Liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC, 20-valves
Displacement: 998cc
Max Power: 110.3 kW (150HP) @ 11 000rpm
Max Torque: 106 Nm (10.8kg-m) @ 8 000rpm
Fuel Capacity: 18 litres
Dry Weight: 199kg
2008_FZ1_grey.jpg

TRIUMPH TIGER ABS
Engine Type: Liquid-cooled, DOHC, in-line 3-cylinder
Capacity: 1050cc
Maximum Power: 115PS /114bhp / 85kW @ 9,400 rpm
Maximum Torque: 100Nm / 74ft.lb at 6,250 rpm
Fuel Capacity: 20 Litres
Weight (Dry): 198kg (+3 for ABS)
Triumph Tiger 1050SE 09.jpg

KTM 990 Supermoto T
Engine: Liquid cooling, four stroke, 75°V-twin cylinder, DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Capacity: 999.8
Max Power: 116 hp 85 KW @ 9000 pm
Max Torque: 97 Nm @ 7000 rpm
Fuel Capacity 19 Litres
Dry-Weight 191 kg
KTM 990 Supermoto T 09  3.jpg

Craxican

i hate to add to the confusion...but have you thought about a VStorm? They are good all around...my buddy has one and he loves it...if you are asking me I would say go with the fz1, but i'm a yamaha man...$16,000???? OMG...that's more than a Hyabusa and ZX14...i know you said sport tourers...but Kawasaki Concours 14 is only $14.5...what packages are you getting with that?

Craxican

wow...well in that case...what all are you planning on using the bike for? if you want on and off road...well i'd go with the KTM...fast and reliable trips, FZ1...powerful and unique, triumph...you may also want to look at street legal dirt bikes man...i have friend who has a dirt bike and he put street tires on it...he said it's better than any supersport he has ever owned and he's been riding sport bikes his whole life...can't go as fast, but it can go fast enough

Manna69247

Nothing wrong with the VStorm but you see a few on the road and I like something different.

Mainly commuting, but my wife like riding with me. We will definitely do some touring. In South Africa we have beautiful places to ride. We have many dirt roads going places normal people don't see often as well. That is why there is so many BMW GS's sold in South Africa. The Triumph and KTM is there for that possible reason. If it wasn't for the dirt road touring, I would not think of anything but the FZ1.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Considering the dirt touring and the comfort question your wife has, I'd lean more toward the Triumph. I can tell you that the pillion seat for the FZ1 is not too great. The KTM seat isn't suitable for longer rides by either the rider or the pillion. The Triumph, while still not great, is the best of the three for what your intentions are for use.

I miss dirt riding... But I really love my FZ1 on the street!

fz6rwolf

I really like the Tiger and maybe in few years will be my next one. Older model Tigers were built for some dirt gravel roads but not really any more. With some dual purpose tires the Tiger could probably still handle some dirt and is supposed to be pretty comfy, and the sound of the triples is great.