FS: Smoked LED integrated turn signal

edk442

this thing is seriously hard to photograph! it took some tinkering with my camera settings to get a level of detail i was happy with. Note that i wiped the tail light down with a cloth so some of the little specs in the pictures are really just lint left behind, and the camera really likes to accentuate everything it sees; things that look like scratches in the pictures aren't even visible with your eye, so i tried to get a picture of anything and everything worth mentioning and highlighted the areas that can be seen. the left side, right side and bottom side show no blemishes that i can get a clean picture of. the rear facing surface has a few tiny scuffs, probably from pebbles that got kicked up. the top surface has very light scuffs, the majority of which would be hidden from view once installed. from more than 2 feet, none of the blemishes can be seen; at that distance it looks new. no hazziness/cloudiness/discoloration to the plastic and nothing that impedes visibility of the light.

i bought this tail light off another member on the forum and have not actually installed it myself. reason for selling is because i decided that i wanted the clear lens version instead. photo #8 shows the wiring. i've not looked to see how these lights get installed on our bike so can't verify if anything was cut off/needed to be spliced or soldered or what not. photo #9 shows the smoke light side by side with my brand new clear tail light and you can see that the wiring is identical so i can only assume thats just how they are. in photo #10 you can see just how smoked the lens is in comparison to a clear lens.

I'm asking $55.00 US shipped which is what i paid.

Attachments

firefighter57

Where did you get the clear light? All I can find is the clears priced at like $150.

edk442

Where did you get the clear light? All I can find is the clears priced at like $150.
i bought it on ebay after doing a search for "yamaha xj6 integrated"

i did pay more, something like $90 shipped from the UK and now i feel silly because the guy in BC canada who always carried the inexpensive smoked light (who i think most people got theirs from) now carries the clear version for the same price

the light came with all the proper connections though i haven't hooked up the integrated turn signals as local laws state a minimum distance between rear turn signals.

has anyone hooked up their light to work in conjuction with the factory rear turn signals? i couldn't seem to find an easy way to do it

Last edited:

edk442

I have just received my integrated tail light as well, it would be great to know any hazards to be knowable about..
you'll be working with some pretty tight spaces so a ratchet with an extension and a phillips bit will make your life a lot easier. someone recommended that you should disconnect the battery; i wasn't cutting any wires so i didn't feel the need to do so.

i didn't hook up the integrated turn signals and i'm glad i didn't because there's not a lot of wire to play with on the stock harness. without taking it apart more i'd think it'd be a real pain to cut and splice wires, and i'm an electrician so i've used to working with some real shitty wiring situations

husker525

Just finished installing a smoked integrated tail light. If you need more room for wiring, or splicing, remove the rear grab bar, and the right side rear cowl. This will expose all the plugs for the rear lighting. The new tail light does not need the t/s to be grounded. Just splice into the main power wire for each rear t/s.

edk442

Just finished installing a smoked integrated tail light. If you need more room for wiring, or splicing, remove the rear grab bar, and the right side rear cowl. This will expose all the plugs for the rear lighting. The new tail light does not need the t/s to be grounded. Just splice into the main power wire for each rear t/s.
i ended up taking the grab bar off since i couldn't wiggle the old light out without doing so. it's only 4 bolts so it's not a big deal.

indeed removal of the right side rear cowling seems like a must to access the turn signal harness

and the unit is grounded through the main plug-connector, just incase someone was wondering why you don't need to ground the turn signals. it's not that they are not grounded, it's that it's already been done