Front sprocket nut Destroyed?!

Superfly

Hey ALL Been awhile since I posted...

Finally tried to change to the +1 Front sprocket. Of course my dealer ordered me the wrong sprocket and now I'm sitting here looking for an elusive Driven 17T. Anyways as I was going to re-use the sprocket nut I can see that its completely destroyed. Now on removal it came loose quite easy and I used a hammer and screwdriver to push up the lock flange on the nut. As I was removing the nut it was hard all the way off and got hot but I was just thinking this was the red locktight. But now I can see its shot. Not sure if the shaft did this to the nut as there might be some very small marks on it or if the nut is just very soft metal. So now I'm waiting for a new nut and have to wait till I can get a 17T (or give up and put back on the 16T).

Did this happen to anyone else thats tried this? I see in the manual that you should use a new nut but I've never seen a nut deform like this from a simple removal. I'm scared now that the new one will be wrecked before I even get it on...at 15 bucks a nut:spank: that would suck. And I dont have any good way to chase the threads on the shaft...even though they really arent that bad at all...

Anyone have this issue? Maybe it was x-threaded on from the factory but I doubt it...

JonKerr

Elite Member

Superfly

That nut is supposed to be replaced after you change a front sprocket. I found that out the hard way when mine came off even with lock tight being used. They're tapered and when you tighten them, it stretches the metal to hold tight. then once you've removed it they're done.

You can order them from Bike Bandit. The nut is part number 2751652 and runs $8.98 and you'll want to replace the washer behind it too. Part number 1267558, $3.62.
Thanks Jon I was hoping that was the case. I have one on order and I'll rest easier knowing that its suppose to strip out when removed. The shaft threads look OK so I should be good. Seems to me that the nut is very soft and maybe thats designed like that so you cant wreck the shaft which would be a nightmare to fix. Cheers