Frank Thomas XTI sale/?'s

2w05thletes

I know some of you guys out there have the FT XTI jackets and pants. Cycle Gear has both on sale in last year's XTI I and this year's XTI II series. Big discounts as a matter of fact. So that's part of the post's reasoning. Letting everyone know.

Secondly. I REALLY want to get a leather jacket and pants. NOT a one piece though. I currently have the XTI textile and the XTI II mesh jackets. Love them both.

I need input. Do you guys like the XTI's that you have? Happy with them? Downfalls?

Reviews on CG are all great. I'm a weightlifter and have a very large chest and a small waist for my size. Every jacket I try on is super tight up top and loose in the bottom. Will the jacket break in after some use? Same with the pants, correct?

Lost of ??'s guys, thanks in advance for the responses.

MikeN02

I know some of you guys out there have the FT XTI jackets and pants. Cycle Gear has both on sale in last year's XTI I and this year's XTI II series. Big discounts as a matter of fact. So that's part of the post's reasoning. Letting everyone know.

Secondly. I REALLY want to get a leather jacket and pants. NOT a one piece though. I currently have the XTI textile and the XTI II mesh jackets. Love them both.

I need input. Do you guys like the XTI's that you have? Happy with them? Downfalls?

Reviews on CG are all great. I'm a weightlifter and have a very large chest and a small waist for my size. Every jacket I try on is super tight up top and loose in the bottom. Will the jacket break in after some use? Same with the pants, correct?

Lost of ??'s guys, thanks in advance for the responses.
All I can really say is my XTI text held me great in my high side. Leather will look better and work better yes but it gets hot but since you already have the mesh versions I guess this set is for the cooler days. I personally think my mesh pants could be better, this is my second pair traded in the first one because the strap fell apart, this time the left side pocket has a hole and if I put anything as big as a credit card in there it'll fall through and be in side the mesh net.

I'm a small build but I have broad shoulders which makes me a medium, when I rode with it on the shoulders kind of.. scrunched up.

sammy56

I have the XTI summer mesh and really like it. Light and sufficient protection for everyday riding. It would be even better for cooling if I would take out the back padding, but I like the protection (just in case).
That being said, the Cortech alternative seems a better choice now.

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

MikeN02

The majority of jackets don't have true spine protectors. They have a flimsy foam that is a poor excuse for a spine protector so you have to go aftermarket or so just so the companies can get more money charging $60ish for a spine protector.

A jacket just protects you against road rash really, except the armors in the shoulder, and elbows.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

2w05thletes

Collectively sentiments are positive. I know the protective benefits of leather...it's that initial price tag. Then again who can put a price tag on personal safety? I'm going to head down to CG and see if I can find something that fits.

How long, JohnK, would you say it took you to feel that break in happen?

JonKerr

Elite Member

2w05thletes

Thanks JohnK. I went and bought last year's XTI jacket and pants. Pants had to be ordered. I convinced them to order more than one size in the pants because they didn't have one in stock. Jacket was very snug in a M but the L was WAY too long in the arms and torso but fit well in the chest. I'll heed your advice, grabbed the M and I'll let it work itself out. Thanks again.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

2w05thletes

I don't have any recommendations because I haven't ridden in cold weather in a long time. I am however purchasing the leather not only for protection/safety but also for cold weather. I guess the folks from :canada: would be the the wisest in this arena!