Four wheeler help...

FSXlover

I have a 2001 Honda Recon 250 utility four wheeler with a problem...
You guys seems to have a good knowledge of engines and I don't have the extra money to take it to a shop.

Heres the problem:
A few weeks ago I noticed poor idle and lots of stalling out. I know that it had to be something like a clogged jet. So yesterday I opened up the carb and cleaned her out with a air compressor and carb cleaner. I put everything back together and when I tried to start her up she wasn't very happy.

The engine will run in neutral with the idle screw all the way in. The second I put it in gear and go somewhere is stalls. It seems to run a little longer when going down hill and dies fast while going up hill. I don't think it's getting enough gas. So I cleaned it 3 more times and all came to the same outcome, stalling out.

I was think about buying a carb kit and seeing if that helped but thought I would ask here and see if anyone else has any ideas.

JSP

Super Moderator
Could be the carb still. Stuck float, something lodged in a jet, etc. I would do a FULL tear down, and cleaning with the new kit items.

CtrlAltDl

The most common problem with carbs is the pilot jet gets plugged. That jet isn't much bigger than a human hair, so unless you actually removed that jet and looked through it my guess is it's plugged up.

Does it run better with the choke on or even partially on?

FSXlover

The jets are suuuper clean. I can see loads of sun light. Made sure they were clean each time I took it apart. The choke doesn't really help.

I did a full tear down, my best guess is something with the float. A few days ago I think it stuck and it flooded so bad it was in the air filter box. Yet after I cleaned out the carb the float seemed to move just fine..

I look into buying a kit.

Other suggestions are welcome, I need this to be fixed so I can prepare for hunting season.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

CtrlAltDl

Certainly sounds like float valve not closing. That would cause the symptoms you described.

First check the float level. Do you have the specs on what the float level should be?

There is a rubber tip on the float valve that can be worn and doesn't stop the flow of the gas coming into the carb.

Also check to make sure there isn't any debris in the float valve.

FSXlover

Still trying to fix it....

I checked everything 1000 times and it still won't work.

This is what happens now...
It runs great on level ground, the second I go on an incline big or small it dies.
The gas tank is clean as a whistle the fuel filter is clean the carb is clean. No idea what is causing this.

bleedinblue

Elite Member
Last edited:

FSXlover

There is no spring on the float valve. We used a kit to redo the carb and replaced everything that came with the kit. Diaphragms look like new.