First time riding in the rain

Adroit

I hadn't really decided last night if I was going to take my bike or car to school today, but that was decided for me when I woke up late. I have a 30 mile commute to school every day (~30-35mins usually), and with a car it would have taken probably an hour and a half or so. Anyway, it was lightly raining when I left my house (maybe a little more than a sprinkle) and picked up a little after I got going. My rain gear consists of a full face helmet (obviously), a textile jacket with a waterproof liner, blue jeans (lol), and service boots. Even though the rain eased up about 5 mins before I arrived at school, I was surprised that I was totally dry when I arrived. I'm not sure if I just air dried in the last few mins, or what really happened, but I'm dry anyway. Is this common at all or should I just call myself lucky and get some rain gear for next time? Also, I know I'll obviously need to lube (maybe clean) my chain.. but is there anything else I really need to do after riding a bike in the rain?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Bloke

I kind of like riding in the rain, but only in the proper gear.

in my opinion there is nothing worse than sitting at a light soaking wet, freezing hands but boiling hot from the heat of your engine :( at least in proper rain gear, you'll be dry, have warm hands and still boiling hot due to the heat of your engine ;)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Bloke

So my kit is all goretex, from boots to gloves. Amazing stuff. Not sure on the availability of it in the US though.

Keeps me bone dry in torrential downpours for an extended period of time.

Heads up too, goretex doesn't have to mean textile. My gloves are leather, nice and thin. :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

anson650

Orange county ? Which state ? When I lived in Fla I road about 75 miles to work, school and home. I would get caught in the afternoon rains a couple of times on the way home and almost always be dry before I got home. Doesn't happen like that up here.
Anson

Adroit

Thanks for the replies, it looks like I'll probably need to invest in some rain gear (since I bought my bike.. I hate driving my cage around).

@Anson - It's Orange County, CA. I'm lucky the weather is pretty mild here 98% of the time :p

Bartholomew

My wife and I have been caught by the rain more times than I can remember! We used to do a lot of cross country trips and getting rained on was inevitable. If you are going to be riding in the rain it is advisable to buy a GOOD rain suit. When you get caught in a downpour you will be glad you did! I have included a pic of my wife riding in a light rain in the Texas Hill Country. She is happily dry except for her feet, she forgot to bring her waterproof boots! This is the bike she traded in for her FZ6R.

Attachments