First real bike, day one.

dndfindley

The real ones fo so much faster than the imaginary ones do. You already know all the drills from the MSF course, go out into a parking lot with some home made cones and practice them.

Flat foot? Some people have more inseam to them than torso, some people are walking around on stumpy legs.

I recommend waiting on the cramp buster. I have one, and I love it, but only for long rides. Otherwise it's an annoyance and will get in your way a lot of the time. If you're ever on a long ride and suddenly need it, any bike shop will have them.

Don't worry about a gear indicator, either. All you ever have to worry about is keeping the engine in a nice rev range. The only indicator motorcyclists have needed for centuries (ahh, exaggeration) is a neutral indicator. 70 mph @ 6K revsish = 6th gear, otherwise who cares?

I'm stoked- one more conscript in the People's Army of the Team Yamaha Blue!
We'll have to agree to disagree on the Cramp Buster. I use it when riding locally, anytime I'm on the bike for more than a half hour or so. Yeah, it got in the way when I first put it on but that quickly changed after a few rides. The wife has one on her T-Max and she complained when I first put it on but quickly changed her mind. To each his or her own but I highly recommend it and for the price you can't go wrong. Don't like it? Just take it off and put it in your pocket. Easier than looking for a motorcycle dealership miles from home. David

Verradar1

Congratz on the new bike dude, bought a 2009 FZ6R back in December which as a vast improvement from my 09 Ninja 250. the only thing I'll say is becareful with it because its probably got a bit more power than your expecting. I completed the MSf course on the rebel 250 and rode about 5k miles before getting this one and still dropped in less than a minute after i got on it to ride home. Rolled to far on the throttle and spun my backtire out (had a few choice words about it too) left minor damage but could have been worse if the guy to my side wasnt quick on his brakes. Be safe and have fun.

anson650

Congratulations!
The more you ride the easier it gets.
Relax, stay focused, and
be safe.
Anson
p.s. My XVZ1200 is a little tall for me.
I have to where boots when I ride it.

AngryAnt

Hey Angry Ant, it might be worth your time to check to see of they installed the link correctly. I bought mine from a dude who had the dealer install the link, and it was done incorrectly. When installed incorrectly it does not lower the bike one bit.

-Remove the black plastic pieces on both sides of your dash, they are panels B and C on page 7.9 of the Owner's Manual.

-Remove the 2 bolts holding the front of the gas tank in place

-Lift the gas tank and look at the lowering link install. Compare it to these 2 pictures:

Like I said before, the dealership messed up the install on my bike, there's no guarantee that yours has been installed correctly.

-Make sure you pull the 2 breather hoses back into place after you lower the tank back down, they have a little support loop near the rear brake lever that they want to go through. You'll see it.

Finally got the fairings and gas tank off, and it appears to be installed correctly. Boo, I guess that just means I have short, stubby legs compared to other riders :rant: Took me 5 times longer to get the fairing back on than it did to take them off >_<

In other news, I should have noticed those quick lock "screws" aren't so quick if you don't realize to press the middle piece to reinsert them...

I got to ride it a second time tonight (don't get to ride every night due to back problems), and expanded my territory a little. Stalled 3 times because I only thought I had downshifted to first....practice, practice, practice...kinda wish those gear indicators were a little cheaper, lol

ChUcK

Hmmm, sorry for steering you down the wrong path. Hey, at least you learned stuff about the bike, right?

Careful with those black plastic rivets- they cost 3 bucks apiece at my local shop. Make sure you read the owner's manual cover to cover, there's all sorts of good nuggets in there, including how to operate those rivets!

CDN6R

I had them install the 1.75" RoaringToyz.com lowering kit, as it was the largest I could find available. I had to ask them twice to do it, but they lowered the front end 3/4". I'm not sure if what the repercussions would be to lowering the front forks 1.75" to match the back. I also made sure the seat was on the lowest setting, and put the suspension on "1".

I'm 5'5" with approximately 29" inseam, and about 140lbs wet :p
Hey there "A.A." and Welcome from Eastern Canada. I too amd 5'5" but my inseam is 28" and I weigh 200.lbs. However I do not have lowering kit and although I am not flat foot on the bike I do manage OK. Just keep at it you will find you balance and you will be fine.