First 2hr trip on the bike there & back

Spanky's Monkey

First 314 mile round trip is in the bag. I was not prepared for riding on the open highway. I don't think there's anything you can do to prepare for it. For the most part my body feels good. Butt got a little sore on the way out there but didn't on the way home. No problems at all with my wrist or hands. I do have some soreness in my shoulders from riding in a full tuck. I found the crosswinds and turbulence were not as brutal tucked over the tank. I was wearing my riding backpack with gear so that certainly may have added to the pain but it was worth it. I noticed too the bike was most stable at speed doing 80+mph. Anything under that and the wind really had it's way with me. 52MPG! I'm impressed by this machine.

yillbs

First 314 mile round trip is in the bag. I was not prepared for riding on the open highway. I don't think there's anything you can do to prepare for it. For the most part my body feels good. Butt got a little sore on the way out there but didn't on the way home. No problems at all with my wrist or hands. I do have some soreness in my shoulders from riding in a full tuck. I found the crosswinds and turbulence were not as brutal tucked over the tank. I was wearing my riding backpack with gear so that certainly may have added to the pain but it was worth it. I noticed too the bike was most stable at speed doing 80+mph. Anything under that and the wind really had it's way with me. 52MPG! I'm impressed by this machine.
you're sore from tucking, because this bike really doesn't need to be tucked. It's a touring bike for the most part. Tucking on a bike like this is " unnatural ", it feels forced, and really not needed. Bend your head down, if you go SIT on an r6 / gsxr 600, cbr 600rr, etc, then you'll quickly understand why you see other people tucked in, it's made to force you to tuck.

Glad it went well for you! These bikes are such terrific all-arounders.

You may want to consider a touring windscreen such as the one from Puig. It's a pricey piece of plastic but I found it made a huge difference over the factory windscreen. It's particularly helpful at highway speeds.

Fraze

First 314 mile round trip is in the bag.
Congrats! Funny .. I drive ~2 hours a DAY to and from work lol.

Be glad the 6R is a heavy old boat...It helps in the windy conditions I find, its the least "drifty" bike I've ridden in the wind given its weight...which for commuting and trips is why I like it :)

Enjoy.

Spanky's Monkey

Wow--52 mpg! At 80 mph, I can't get close to 52--it's more like low 40s.
Couldn't sustain 80 the entire trip and I'm really conservative with the throttle at all speeds. In the tuck it just made rolling on the throttle easy at times. Honestly, easy enough I had to back out a few times to stay out of the mid 90's. Oh and that was all highway.

Superzoom

Couldn't sustain 80 the entire trip and I'm really conservative with the throttle at all speeds. In the tuck it just made rolling on the throttle easy at times. Honestly, easy enough I had to back out a few times to stay out of the mid 90's. Oh and that was all highway.
I'm pretty conservative with the throttle as well when I'm touring, but the faster you cruise beyond 60 mph, the bigger the drop-off in fuel efficiency.

Drennan57

The issue I've found with the highway is the stock gearing isn't tall enough. It's great for highway blasts but truly relaxed highway riding isn't it's strong suit. As pocket change would fix this or course but the benefits of shorter gearing would be lost as well.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member