First 2 months of mods...

sti491

So I bought a literally perfect, like new completely stock 2012 Raven with 2,200 miles on it from a widow friend. Her husband bought it when he was 63 years just before he passed. Same age as me. Always garaged. $3,000. That was a great start. Got a few mods done in the past 2 months and several hundred miles in before we just got our first 3" of snow here in NC. This is my first bike since my 1971 Triumph Bonneville in high school. It's been fun getting back my riding swag... at times a little scary too. Adrenaline keeps you young!

So I am 6' 3", 200lbs and have had 3 back surgeries. I crashed a Honda 450 on the highway in college and have had 3 right foot surgeries. Riding comfort with a more upright seating position is critical for me. Here is my 2 month adventure summarized, purchases/mods with comments:

1. Riding Gear: Joe Rocket Atomic 5.0 Jacket (red& black). Joe Rocket Eclipse summerish gloves, Freeze out glove liners and shirt, Sedici winter gloves, AGV Corsica kevlar jeans, Bell Qualifier DLZ Helmet - Rally, Sena BT headset (for this helmet), Icon Superduty 5 riding boots (more like fancy high top sneakers). Considering I used to ride my Triumph in a tee shirt and shorts, all this is a big upgrade! I know nothing will protect me from a car/truck/tree impact. But if I low side it I think my skin has a chance now. Got all this stuff on sale (except the boots), and feel great about all of it, other than the $$ investment. Even on sale, it made me happy I got a good deal on the bike. Gearing up from nothing is expensive these days.

2. Front & rear Venom Paddock stands and T-Rex Racing spools: These have been awesome. Really a must if you work on your own bike like I do.

3. Shogun Carbon Fiber frame sliders: Look cool. Jury is out IMO if these are good or not sliding on your side at speed on the road... but they will definitely help with the all to popular embarrassing parking lot tip over.

4. Phone Nav/Music set-Up: Consists of a marine accessory socket/twin USB power ports, and I Frankensteined a magnetic WizGear phone mount (with rubber band corner thingy) to a Ram handlebar mount for iPhone navigation. I figured how to mount it high enough to sit at the bottom of my field of vision Speedo read-out, so I can just glance down with my eyes, not moving my helmet... this set-up is the bomb.

5.DMP Fender eliminator/smoke flush front signals & integrated tailight: Really made the bike look better. The taillight brake flasher is a safety upgrade, but I don't think anyone in front of me can see the new front signals. I hand signal a lot to avoid getting run over. Cool factor is A-1 though.

6. Seating position: Modded my seat to raise it over 1.5" and made a spacer so it looks good (see separate post on that), Rox bar back risers 1" up and 1" back, multiple tries adjusting the brake & shifter foot controls, and clutch & front brake levers: Hands down the BEST thing I did to the bike. The bar back risers were a PIA to be sure the cables all route nearly as stock without binding, but they do work. It could not move any further though. The bike fits me now. MUCH more relaxed riding position considering my height and back problems. I have ridden for 4 hours comfortably. I can't sit in a car seat that long without a break.

7. Grip Puppy Foam Grips and Oxford Carbon Fiber bar ends: I wanted bigger grips because I have large hands (long fingers). The CF bar ends were for looks, to add a bit more CF to go with my other CF bits. I was nervous because the bar ends weigh much less than stock, so vibration concerned me. But I figured the foam grip add-ons would reduce added vibration perhaps compensating for the lighter bar ends. I notice no additional vibration or ill affects. I love the Grip Puppy's. I can very lightly grip the bars now, reducing fatigue. And it increased grip diameter nicely.

8. Puig Carbon Fiber look fender hugger: Got a good deal on this from a guy on E-bay who ordered the wrong one. Looks awesome with the fender eliminator... it fills that big space nicely.

9. Puig light smoke touring windscreen: With my seating position mods and height, this was a good move. Stock windshield wind blast hit me square in the chest, which on cold days got a bit old. I thought this touring windshield would look funky. Actually with the "alien like" huge stock rear view mirrors (that I like the functionality of, but but not the looks), it looks like the bike should have come with this windshield. Maybe I would have preferred the darker smoke, but I got this delivered for under $100, $40 less than any other color. Add this to the seating position mods as best in class.

10. KTM Tailpack/backpack, fabbed a cable lock for it, Lockstraps 901 Helmet/Jacket Lock: Tailpack was too expensive and a hassle to mount but I finally got it. Love it. It doesn't look too bad considering the functionality. The Lockstrap is HUGE and does it's job. I keep it permanently attached to the passenger grip bar fitting over the tailback so it all looks more integrated. It is just the right length to run through your jacket sleeve and also lock to a helmet chin strap.

11. Yana Shiki shifter condom: To protect my street shoes before I bought the Icon boots. Looks stupid, doesn't fit that great, but does protect shoes. I don't hate it so much so it's still on the bike.

12. Badass Moto Gear Motorcycle Kickstand Pad: My Triumph nearly bit the asphalt on a 100 degree day when the side stand sunk into melted asphalt. So this was just precautionary. Have not used it yet. It's in the tailback along with a small soapy water spray bottle for my visor with microfiber, Aleive, bandaids, extra cold weather gear and misc other stuff an old guy wants when riding.

13. Nelson Rigg dust cover for inside my shop: it was cheap and does the job.

14. PJ1 Blue Label Chain Lube: Awesome. Doesn't fling off at all once you let it dry.

15. Battery Tender Lithium 12V 240 CCA + Battery Tender Junior 800 022-0199-DL-WH Combo: Expensive. Thought I'd try new technology. The weight difference is unbelievable. Since it's hard to shed weight off a bike, that's a plus. It comes with dense foam spacers to fit in the battery box, but it's a little PIA to deal with the cables. The charger connection coming out under the tailpack/passenger seat is handy. Like that a lot. Time will tell if this was a good idea or not. Price nearly steered me away.

16. Idea Gear indicator (red): $50, half the price as others. Wiring was a hassle finding the right plugs & wires and then getting your hands in there. But not too bad. Let the haters hate.... yes I can ride the bike just fine without it. I know the rpms/speed for the gears, and the feel of the bike, blah, blah, blah. It's really nice to do a quick check if I am in 6th. That's all I really use it for, and I like it for that.

17. LED Headlight Bulb: My son got this for his bike. Came with 2 bulbs, and it turned out it was the same fitment on my bike. I hated riding at night before. Now it's amazing. This is plug and play except for slight trimming of the rubber boot around the back of the bulb. This is highly recommended. I think 2 bulbs were $50.

So that's pretty much it. Fun times researching, installing and test riding. Obviously I am going more for a comfy sport touring set-up, which is not everyone's cup of tee. Being a, errr, ehhh, "mature" rider, this is perfect for me. Don't plan on selling it for a long time. I think it handles really well. Now I need to fix the "nut behind the wheel"... I just need riding time to shake off over 30 years of riding rust. I had not ridden for that long. My son has a 2000 Suzuki 650SV we've been working on also, so fun times.

Next up:
1. Tires: Metzeler SPORTEC M7 RR

2. Hack and weld an exhaust. Airbox mod, Power Commander. Probably a Delkevic CF shorty, using stock headers Marthy style. I hate that it costs soooo much for relatively little performance gain to change the exhaust on these bikes. But that stock cat is horrible to look at and sounds bad IMO.

3. Tank pads.

I threw in a pic of the ol' Bonney for fun.

Attachments

Last edited:

sti491

Spools are just the rear. T-rex spools are hard to find for this bike, I'm guessing they stopped making them? I got these lightly used on E-bay. The Venom stands are front and rear. Got those and the shift indicator from Amazon. If you do the shift indicator feel free to message me. I can give you some tips that will save you ALOT of time finding the two hidden plugs you need and two wires to tap. The installation instructions that come with it may be technically correct in a generic sense, but do little good for the FZ6R. The programing instructions are accurate and very easy. Since most indicators like this one all run off the crankshaft sensor, be forewarned it only shows the gear number when there are some RPMS. I'm not sure how many, maybe like 2,000. So if you are stopped in first gear it will not say "1" at idle. It shows "-". If you want to know if your in 1st gear stopping, just glance at it as you are downshifting to a stop. It will show "1" before it goes to the dash. For some reason riding this bike 6th gear seems pretty "revy" or low to me, so despite knowing the rev/speed numbers, I was shifting or just "checking" into a non-existing 7th gear too often. That's what I use it for almost exclusively, and I love it for that. In my field of vision it's right next to my phone in this position, no need to tilt my helmet down. It looks good there IMO. The red LED is very bright. I can always see it even in bright sunlight. It's a bit bright at night, but I don't look at it all the time so no big deal. Here are the links:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6LW7WF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036QZ8VQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

TexanFZ6R

Spools are just the rear. T-rex spools are hard to find for this bike, I'm guessing they stopped making them? I got these lightly used on E-bay. The Venom stands are front and rear. Got those and the shift indicator from Amazon. If you do the shift indicator feel free to message me. I can give you some tips that will save you ALOT of time finding the two hidden plugs you need and two wires to tap. The installation instructions that come with it may be technically correct in a generic sense, but do little good for the FZ6R. The programing instructions are accurate and very easy. Since most indicators like this one all run off the crankshaft sensor, be forewarned it only shows the gear number when there are some RPMS. I'm not sure how many, maybe like 2,000. So if you are stopped in first gear it will not say "1" at idle. It shows "-". If you want to know if your in 1st gear stopping, just glance at it as you are downshifting to a stop. It will show "1" before it goes to the dash. For some reason riding this bike 6th gear seems pretty "revy" or low to me, so despite knowing the rev/speed numbers, I was shifting or just "checking" into a non-existing 7th gear too often. That's what I use it for almost exclusively, and I love it for that. In my field of vision it's right next to my phone in this position, no need to tilt my helmet down. It looks good there IMO. The red LED is very bright. I can always see it even in bright sunlight. It's a bit bright at night, but I don't look at it all the time so no big deal. Here are the links:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6LW7WF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036QZ8VQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the links. I need rear spools. The stand I have now is scratching the swingarm.

The bike is in higher rpms in 6th for me too. Needs a 7th gear or a taller (?) 6th for sure.