EX500 rider - considering a FZ6

Sovereign

Greetings exalted ones. I'm an EX-500 rider currently thinking about upgrading to a FZ6R. I was directed here by a Kawasaki forum member who happens to ride (and love) the FZ. Looking at what the Yamaha offers, I think it will be a lateral move in terms of ergonomics and cornering, but a remarkable upgrade in aesthetics, top-end, braking, throttle response, and technology. It looks like the only downside to this upgrade is fuel mileage, since I'm getting about 49 on average (56 if I'm restraining) with the EX.

I'm also considering the EX-650 and SV650, but the FZ has piqued my interest since it has four cylinders. The bike will perform its current commuting (10 mix miles) and touring duties, but I would like to take it to more track days than I'm currently committing the EX-500 to, which is only one or two a year.

Until then, I'll be lurking here and racking up more miles on the 500 until I find a good bargain worth pulling the trigger on. Hope to see some of you on the road. ATGATT and stay safe.

NoDoze

Hello and welcome to the forum and community!

Check out fuelly.com and search for FZ6R - you'll see our fuel efficiency posts there. On that note, my friend has the Suzuki SV650SF (full fairing) and his bike gets better gas millage, torquier due to the twin and probably has more aftermarket parts than our bike since it's been around for a while. I might be wrong but can probably use some of the parts from it's bikes bigger siblings.

Again, welcome!

Sovereign

Hmm... 42 mpg. Not bad. I'm wondering how some on there are getting 55-60 though. I can only get that mileage on the EX if I'm short shifting or keeping it at 4k on the freeway (~60 mph at top gear.)

Rookasaki

:welcome: I started on the 500. Great bike :)
I then ungraded to the SV650s, had her for a few years.. Great bike, nothing bad to say about her other then I didn't like the V-twin sound. Sold her and picked up the FZ6R... Both bikes are comparable when it comes to performance.. Both bikes are great, however I'm rooting for the 6R! :thumbup:

JonKerr

Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

nlpyle

The 500 is a blast. I started on that and still have it. The fz6r is also a blast and an all around great bike as a next step up from the 500. My two cents is dive into the fz6r and keep the 500 too. My 500 has the muzzy exhaust and boy that baby is loud :D It never hurts to have a spare bike. Great to teach other people how to ride on.

Sovereign

I have a soft spot for the EX, but I doubt the SO would be happy to see two bikes in the garage (she's unwilling to learn and hates the fact that I commute on the bike.) Us EX guys can see improved mileage and smooth throttle response by doing what we call the "FOG mod" plus tinkering with the screws on the pilot jets. The information and feedback here convinced me that fuel efficiency is not a factor and now it's just a matter of aesthetics.

Thanks guys.

Superzoom

Hi Sovereign,

You have a good short list for a new bike. The FZ6R is a very good bike, but so is the SV. I really love the look of the naked SV. It looks so elemental and purposeful. You can't go wrong with either bike, but I think the FZ6R is more well rounded and comfortable, while the SV is sportier, relatively speaking.

Every time people talk about fuel mileage, you get these really out-there high quotes on mileage. It seems some people only ride at 50 mph with a tail wind going downhill. I can only guess that they are either talking about their best ever, or are using gigantic gallons. I find my FZ6R is very consistently between 40 and 50 mpg. I only get below 40 if I ride it really hard or it's windy, and I only exceed 50 mpg with perfect conditions at a slowish speed.

However, I consider mileage in the 40's to be plenty good for a semi-sporty motorcycle.