Ever Ran out of gas?

MikeN02

Just wondering if anyone's ever ran out of gas on their bike. I had a 2002 Ninja EX500 as my first bike and it had a carb on it. With a Reserve, Off and On switch.

Needless to say, it also didn't have a fuel gauge. So when I went home on the freeway after work the bike kept jerking back and forth, and the RPM's went down, so I opened up the throttle a bit more. Then I realized I had the throttle all the way open but was losing speed.

So I pulled over to see what was wrong, maybe it was the battery? I started it again, it went off fine. Then I tried to leave but it stalled out. Kept trying a couple more times off the side of the freeway, checked the kickstand etc...

Then I realized it must have been the gas! So I switched to reserve and got off at the next exit to fill up.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

FitZ6R

My '89 Yamaha had a small tank, no gauge, and a reserve petcock. I used to routinely run it until I felt the first stumble, then switch to reserve and make the next fuel stop.

Once or twice I had the dismaying sensation of reaching for the petcock and finding it was already on reserve, but by sheer luck I was never stranded.

neshi

That was my second biggest fear after falling when i got my first bike. No fuel indicator so you had to guess by mileage how much you had left! for the first month I filled up when i got to or after i left each destination until i just got lazy and learned how many miles will dry me out. lucky me in NJ its sometimes 20+ miles between stations

dannymac702

Never ran out with FZ6R but happened once with 1989 XT600. After it died on reserve I layed the bike down the left side (where the petcock is) and some fuel must have sloshed over from the right hand side of the tank. Was enough to get her running to the nearest gas station. Anyone know where the fuel line comes out of the tank on a FZ6R? LH or RH or both? I'm headed down to the garage to have a look.

Newmason

Never ran out of gas just yet, knock on wood. Getting about 155 miles to about the f-trip of 10 miles on the tank, which is really good! I did how ever when I first started riding, which was dirtbikes 10 years ago, ran her out of gas in the middle of Daniel Boone National Forest. Want to talk about a long story :thumbup:

CGENGO

Sure came close...

I left Las Vegas without paying attention....thinking Searchlight was much closer than the glitter in my rear view mirror! I ran the Raven on the F-trip for much, much further than I ever thought I could. Laying on the tank, top gear, tucked in and conserving energy with a reasonable RPM and a steady throttle I rolled her in to the first station and filled up. Took the capacity stated in the manual. The Fuzzysixer Spirit was watching over me. :eek: