Embarassing Public Drop

mische42

Just discovered this section, so figured I'd tell my sob story. Pulled into work after owning the bike only a few months. Of course several of the guys come out as I pull up (thanks to 2 bros) to check out the new ride. Being a noob I take my time after I shut down to remove golves, helmet, etc and start to lean the bike over on the kick stand (or so I thought). You guessed it, by the time I realized "it probably would have been good to actually put the kick stand down first" it was too late and with a handful of gear she was past the point of no return. So there I am in front of work, glass windows, buddies outside with my sweet new ride on her side. Accident wise, it can be so much worse I am well aware...pride wise, it wasnt too cool!!!

The good takeaway is that I followed my buddies advice and never took it out once (save the ride home from the dealer) without first putting on frame sliders. Best advice I had gotten up to that point!!! Those superficial tiny scracthes on the turn signal and bar end could have been joined by many more and far less sightly damages!!!!

yfz6r

Allow me to give the next advice: When you stop, put your kickstand down. Use it to kill the bike if you frequently forget.

Sage

I also kill the bike using the kickstand when I come to a destination, makes it much harder to forget ;)

I've caught myself about to drop it like that plenty of times though..

mische42

good advice, and one of the many good habits I picked up following that event and since!

frelay

Also, if you need to move the bike, do not push on it, sit on it and push with your legs. I almost drop mine while pushing ot a few feet in my garage.

txjames

Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
It happens... Live and learn ;)