Electrical issue

trackfiend

Okay guys I did a search before posting this and couldn't find anything. I have a 2009 FZ6R and have had no issues since I got the bike a few months back. It currently has 6999 miles and ran great up until a few weeks ago. I went for a ride and after about 20 minutes the check engine light came on so I headed back to the house since it had never done this before. When I got close to home the display went blank and then came back on. When I pulled into the driveway and stopped the bike died. I checked the connections at the battery and everything was tight and I couldn't find any loose connections. I put the battery on a charger for a few hours and the bike would fire right up and no check engine light. So after a few short rides I went for a longer ride and it did the same thing again. I figured it might be the battery so I replaced it with a new one and it ran great again. Then tonight it did the same thing on me. I know that was really long winded. LOL. Anyway anybody else have this issue? I'm thinking it might be the recitifier, but I'm new to late model bikes. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

trackfiend

Thanks Scott. It is really weird. I went back out that evening and turned the bike on and hit the starter button. Without even hesitating it fired right off and had no check engine light. I guess I'll call the local dealer and see what they're going to hit me with to check it out.

Michael Wilson

after you ride it you need to check the voltage on your battery to see if its charging. If its not charging its either your regulaor/rec or your stator. Or leave you bike running and check voltage at the batter. it should read around 13.5

trackfiend

Think it may be the regulator as last time I checked voltage with the old battery it was showing in excess of 14 volts while idling. When I checked it yesterday while it was idling it showed the battery was slowly dropping and not charging. I figured between the last time and this time it would indicate the regulator was on it's way out? Thoughts? I hope it's not the stator.

trackfiend

Quick update. I went ahead and picked up a regulator for the bike. Took ten minutes to change it out and all is good in the world again. Haha. Anyway if anyone else suffers the same problems it's a good chance it's your regulator.