Dropped my bike today

TrueBlue

Sooo I was just pulling into the parking lot where I was meeting a few co-workers for a ride this afternoon. I was trying to swing my bike in tight next to a parking spot so that I could easily walk it back into the spot. What I wasn't paying attention to was the fact that I had the clutch engaged and did not have the speed to make the tight turn. I lost my balance and felt the bike going down. It was a slow motion scene of embarassment as I tried to right the bike back up but it was beyond the point of no return. I ended up laying it down in the parking lot. Thankfully the first thing I did before ever taking my bike out was to install a set of T-Rex Frame Sliders. They worked PERFECTLY and I do not have a single scratch on the bike. I laid it down so slowly that the frame sliders only have very minor scratches where they touched the pavement ... barely even noticeable. So I learned a valuable lesson today, and thankfully all I cost me was some embarssment :eek:

MikeN02

Sooo I was just pulling into the parking lot where I was meeting a few co-workers for a ride this afternoon. I was trying to swing my bike in tight next to a parking spot so that I could easily walk it back into the spot. What I wasn't paying attention to was the fact that I had the clutch engaged and did not have the speed to make the tight turn. I lost my balance and felt the bike going down. It was a slow motion scene of embarassment as I tried to right the bike back up but it was beyond the point of no return. I ended up laying it down in the parking lot. Thankfully the first thing I did before ever taking my bike out was to install a set of T-Rex Frame Sliders. They worked PERFECTLY and I do not have a single scratch on the bike. I laid it down so slowly that the frame sliders only have very minor scratches where they touched the pavement ... barely even noticeable. So I learned a valuable lesson today, and thankfully all I cost me was some embarssment :eek:
Usually a small laydown that that has some other rashes. I laid my FZ6R down while changing the oil because it wasn't fully on the swingarm stand.

The sliders helped, but I still had rash on the bar ends and some on the mirror.

TrueBlue

Usually a small laydown that that has some other rashes. I laid my FZ6R down while changing the oil because it wasn't fully on the swingarm stand.

The sliders helped, but I still had rash on the bar ends and some on the mirror.
I recently changed the mirrors to the kawasaki mirrors, so I think that helped, and I checked the bar ends but there were absolutely no scratches there. I guess I just lucked out :D

Detrich

i did something similar too before. minor rashes on the rear passenger handle, oil coiler, bar ends. but, some Forever Black dye touched most of that stuff up really nicely.

honestly, there is almost no one i know who's a beginner rider who hasn't done something like that... <lol> it's a learning process that we all go through...

great to hear your bike is ok. :)

DragonBlu

We've all done it at one time or another. Even riding 40 plus years I did it already with the new bike in the lawn. No damage either,just embarrassed and nobody even saw me. Ride safe Gentlemen! :thumbup:

eashleighv9

So how do u do it? i mean for not falling down. Go faster to park? wider angle to turn? etc.Please give advice, I almost dropped mine once in the shopping center carpark, i was carrying a pillion, and turned in a narrow angle at low speed, thanks i have got strong legs which prevented me and the bike to go down.
Advice please, ta.

k6gad

So how do u do it? i mean for not falling down. Go faster to park? wider angle to turn? etc.Please give advice, I almost dropped mine once in the shopping center carpark, i was carrying a pillion, and turned in a narrow angle at low speed, thanks i have got strong legs which prevented me and the bike to go down.
Advice please, ta.
The way I make sharp turns at low speed is to:
1-shift my weight slightly to the outside of the turn to balance the bike.
2-give the engine some gas, and feather the clutch. in other words use the clutch to control the speed of the bike.
3-last but also important drag only the rear brake, don't use the front brake for slow speed turns or you risk going down.

I learned this from a friend who teaches motor officers for a local police department. He is one of the best slow speed riders I have ever seen. I will help to practice in an open parking lot with no cars for a while until you get the hang of it. Hope that helps some..
Gary

A1A

There are two types of motorcycle riders in the world. Those who have dropped there bike and those who are going to drop there bike. I'm in the first category, been there done that. I will probably drop a bike again as well.
The most likely places to drop a bike are:

1. While taking out or putting bike in the garage.
2. Parking lots, due to speed, loose rocks, gravel and oil spots.
3. Having to stop on uneven or hilly road areas.

If the weather is inclement the drop factor increases substancially.
I believe all of us should probably concentrate soley on parking or bikes and not be distracted until after the bike is parked.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

ry-mac75

I've never dropped the bike, but each time I've come close - it seems to be due to my jeans. Hear me out. When I where normal jeans, they can kind of bind a little and get a bit restrictive in the knees/crotch (not that I wear tight fitting jeans - low n' loose is the only way I party) and when I go to put my foot down or make an adjustment, they can give a little tug or restrict movement just enough that it throws me off. When I wear my icon riding pants - it's so much easier to operate the bike (the crotch is designed for riding so I don't get any surprise nut twists or anything).

Am I alone on this?

cbzdel

clutch control is the most important IMO at very low speeds. I hardly use the throttle at low speeds, I just clutch out slightly and it pulls enough power to keep me moving. Also dont be afraid to keep your feet down if you dont feel safe moving at slow speeds, its better to look like a newbie that be on the ground :D

The first thing they teach you in MSF is to walk the bike, riding and basicly walking along with the bike.

Once you get the hang of it you will have no problem, I can maneuver into what seems like just about anywhere and can keep my balance very good. I can even come to a stop sign, come to a full stop and the take off again without putting my feet down, which non-riders think is the most amazing thing ever haha! Its really fun to do this in stop and go taffic, you stat to get some looks when you keep stopping and never put your feet down :)

XTRAWLD

Everyone should just push their bike over on the first day they get it to get the drop out of the way!

It happens to everyone. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Glad to hear you came out of it just fine, and the bike did too!

Sparkxx1

Meh I dropped it within 30 minutes of getting it trying to get it out of the basement. I have only 1 scratch on the fairing and I'm going to buy the correct colorite paint(official) to touch it up. I was basically foaming at the mouth and throwing myself into walls, but it happens, some are luckier than others lol. Make sure if it went down on the right side, that the rear brake didn't bend inward.:(

I just got my sliders on the weekend but haven't had a chance to put them on. College keeps me busy these days lol:surrender:

Midnightroadie04

Elite Member

NoDoze

Yeah, dropping the bike seems to be part of having one. I keep telling a friend of mine who's also a new bike owner (as XTRAWLD suggested) to just lay it down all ready :p

Anyway, I remember my first time laying my bike down. It was early morning and I pulled into a parking lot with lots of parking spaces open. With the motor off and leaning the bike towards the kickstand, I noticed that I haven't kicked it down yet (brain fart). By that time I realized that, it was beyond the point of recovery.

Being of small stature, I got judo thrown by the bike. hahah :D Luckily my cousin and I installed frame sliders the night before so my fairing didn't get damaged. The mirror, bar end, clutch lever and the turn signal were scratched though. It doesn't matter though, those scratches just gave my bike character :D and all of them except for the lever have been replaced with 3rd party mods.

Just know that you're not alone - everyone has dropped or tipped their bike before. :)

DakinechicK

Well, +1 on the dropping thing.

When I picked mine up from the dealership (it was used) I wasn't even out of the parking lot yet and down he went. In my defense, it had not been lowered yet! (I'm 5'1). I popped the clutch...yes, my bad...it started leaning over, I couldn't get my toes on the ground fast enough and I weigh hardly anything so down he went. It was quite the scene I'm sure. Everyone, it seemed, at the dealership saw me. 2 guys ran out thinking I was hurt and helped me pick up the bike. Talk about EMBARASSED! On the other hand, they were all super supportive and awesome about it. :eek:

I've only owned 4 motorbikes. So it wasn't a newb thing...just a dumb girl thing.

Keep in mind, shit happens, Frame sliders are key, And friends will always be there to make fun of you in the end about it... because that's what they're there for!

iceman

Hey don`t worry about it, I dropped my first bike while parking it in my driveway, You know that Green light call neutral never have confidence into it...I release my clutch and my bike was still in 1st gear and he kicked me out fast and whent on the side. Sucked but I`m alive!

Happy your bike is oki!!!

sbhoopsfan

Im embarrassed to admint it but i also dropped my bike on saturday :confused:
Last week a friend dropped it and scratched the gasket cover (no big deal) saturday i was pulling in my driveway and stepped in a little bit of water lost my footing and lost it on the other side this time no real damage just a nick on the corner of the fairing will never see it if i dont point it out...i had a vstar for over 2 years and never dropped it once needless to say i was thrilled :eek:

bigguybbr

There are two types of motorcycle riders in the world. Those who have dropped there bike and those who are going to drop there bike. I'm in the first category, been there done that. I will probably drop a bike again as well.
The most likely places to drop a bike are:

1. While taking out or putting bike in the garage.
2. Parking lots, due to speed, loose rocks, gravel and oil spots.
3. Having to stop on uneven or hilly road areas.

If the weather is inclement the drop factor increases substancially.
I believe all of us should probably concentrate soley on parking or bikes and not be distracted until after the bike is parked.
In my case #4 - Walking it off a trailer, after my fiancée had unhitched it from the truck, tipping the whole trailer...

iSpoolin

Yeah i dropped mine pulling it out of winter storage to put it in its summer storage spot, wasnt my fat though my ramps slipped off the building and down i went, no damage but a smqll scratch on the righ side fairing and a little dirt on he bike, but i buffed it all out amd now shes perfect again :)