Drive line lash

72racer

Elite Member

scoobienorth

yeah my friend and i both have these bikes, tough when you have something new and you can hear all this stuff, we both have asked each other stuff like this,but i think it is normal, i could be wrong but this is what i think, there is slack built in to the transmission, so when you slack off, or snap the power on, the slack in the chain doesnt bind up the transmsion, when i rebuilt my yfz450 quad engine, complete tear down i was worried as there was play in the transmision but apparently it was supposed to be there, bike should be the same

72racer

Elite Member

motomc2

IMHO you are probably...

in too high of a gear and maybe lugging the engine. Same sensation if in to high a gear (low rpms) in a 6 speed standard car or truck?

W

whatever

set up for chain adjustment

the owners manual says to check with the bike on the kickstand... and the shop manual says to check the slack with the wheel off the ground on stands.

which way does everybody check there chain... was using the kickstand but now i might try using the rear stand.

Rotorcrazy

I'm a brand new rider and I was wondering about this same thing with my '11 FZ6-R. When going from power on to power off there is a noticeable clunk which varies in intensity based on how aggressively the power is adjusted. Seems like free play in the drive train or transmission. This does not happen with the clutch in so I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the chain (which seems to be adjusted)

There is also a bit of a metallic ringing/whining noise at slow speeds with the clutch out which sounds like it's in the transmission. I'm starting to think it's completely normal but I was concerned about it at first. I got the bike with 600km on it so I wasn't sure if it was like that from the factory.

hfd1 tuner

lift rear wheel off ground engine off put it in gear and move the rear wheel foward then backwards you will get a idea of how much play you have. worn chain links to the gaps between the trans gears all add up. Worn cush drive rubbers will give you more slop. But you can see what has the slop with the wheel off ground

hfd1 tuner

the owners manual says to check with the bike on the kickstand... and the shop manual says to check the slack with the wheel off the ground on stands.

which way does everybody check there chain... was using the kickstand but now i might try using the rear stand.
check chain has some slack in it with it on the ground with the bike weight on the tires or lean on the seat some reach down and make sure it does not get tight. As the swingarm goes up the arc tightens the chain. So if it is tight with the wheel off the ground it will be way tight with a load on it like a bump in road. I have seen bent output shafts by having the chain too tight