Drink time...some old school recommendations.

Pinarello Rider

Hey all,
Looking for drink recommendations. I would like to try something new, and something "special". I usually drink bourbon on the rocks, and some other regulars are Tanqueray and Tonic, and Cape Codders. Looking for something maybe a little old school. A couple of rules:

1. I don't do tequila- there's a story about a "heavy" girl, the police, and a restraining order involving Cal Ripken (I don't have any RO against me that I know of). Let's leave it at that.
2. A little fruit is good, but heavy juice just makes me feel full.
3. Must be able to get ingredients at a local store and/or packie.
4. No Marguerita's.
5. Must be relatively simple - I don't want to be cooking all day.

Example - Rusty Nail (Heard about it last night watching reruns of West Wing). Involves Irish Whiskey and Drambouie.

So what do you think guys and gals?

Last edited:

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

When getting in to spirits, it's whiskey 99% of the time with me. Rye whiskey, sometimes called Canadian whiskey, is my fave, but I celebrate them all. Like you, on the rocks is my preferred, but if I want something cool and fizzy I'll have a scotch and soda. Whiskey sours are great, too. They can be made with rye or bourbon. Traditionally, you're supposed to use lemon juice, sugar, and whiskey, but you can experiment a bit by mixing citrus juices, or using bar sour (often made from powder but much better fresh) instead of the lemon/sugar combo.

Pinarello Rider

A little complicated, but my favorite whiskey/bourbon mixed drink is the old fashioned. People make it slightly different, but this is how I do it:

Muddle 1 sugar cube, 2 dashes of bitters (my preference is about a dozen :D), and a small dash of water. Fill with ice, add bourbon or whiskey and garnish with a cherry and orange slice.

My twist, I add a cherry or two (the jar in syrup kind, not fresh) and muddle with everything else. Gives it a great flavor.
What exactly does "muddle" mean in this context? I don't have a "sugar cube" (do they still make those?! lol) but I think I like the sounds of this. Gives me an excuse to get on the motorcycle and head to the grocery store and ABC. :)

ETA: Google is my friend. http://cocktails.about.com/od/cocktailspeak/g/muddle_spk.htm

Last edited:

Riccochet

rocks glass, 2 cubes, 2 fingers of Bushmills 21

If I'm feeling sassy I'll use whiskey stones instead of the ice. :)

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Pinarello Rider

A little complicated, but my favorite whiskey/bourbon mixed drink is the old fashioned. People make it slightly different, but this is how I do it:

Muddle 1 sugar cube, 2 dashes of bitters (my preference is about a dozen :D), and a small dash of water. Fill with ice, add bourbon or whiskey and garnish with a cherry and orange slice.

My twist, I add a cherry or two (the jar in syrup kind, not fresh) and muddle with everything else. Gives it a great flavor.
Thanks! Just made a trip to the grocery store and the ABC - 4 miles from my house but it took me an hour and a half to get there!! Can you believe that?! :D

Enjoying an Old Fashioned right now. Very enjoyable. All the flavor of whiskey, but without the sour - I'm using Jim Beam Black, it's all I have. I also got some Sweet Vermouth and Canadian Whisky for a Manhattan.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, nice change of pace.

Cheers!!!

bleedinblue

Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

danieljardim

A brazilian favorite.

Caipirinha.

Caipirinha (pronounced kie-purr-REEN-yah) roughly translates to "country bumpkin". It is made with cachaça, an intensely sweet Brazillian style of rum made from sugarcane juice. The Caipirinha is the national drink of Brazil, where it originated, and is a common Carnavale drink. Although it is more difficult to find, it's important to choose a premium cachaça for this cocktail in particular because the drink is not heavily flavored and a cheaper brand can ruin an otherwise perfect Caipirinha. You may also like the neater Caipirini.
Prep Time: 3 minutes

Total Time: 3 minutes

Yield: 1 Cocktail

Ingredients:

1 lime, quartered
2 tsp fine sugar
2 oz cachaca
Preparation:

Place the lime wedges and sugar into an old-fashioned glass.
Muddle well.
Fill the glass with ice cubes.
Pour in the cachaca.
Stir well.
Note: Keep the sugar mixed in the drink by stirring often.