do your own work when possible

72racer

Elite Member

owldaddy

I know how frustrating that can be. No mechanic will put in the effort that the owner does. I have done my own work in the past as well, and in fact have been burned every time I took one of my machines in for work at the dealer. Last time a dealer got a hold of one of my cars was a recalled item. I had to go back and fix what they screwed up when I got the car home. 3 days later I got a survey in the mail asking what I thought of their work. I let them know what they screwed up. Another 3 days went by and I got a phone call from them wanting to make things right, I just told them that this is an example of why I do my own work, and they needn't worry about the work getting done right, I took care of it. That car was an 84 Toyota mini van..........

72racer

Elite Member

MikeN02

Things that I can't do on my own I take it to a motorcycle shop. Luckily my sister found a good shop (Cycle Pro) which is owned by 1 guy named Yaman and another worker he has and that's it.

So it isn't a giant chain where they don't care if they don't get your money etc. He charges $67 an hour and I had him do some work and check up for my bikes order some parts.

He only charged me for the parts (with 10% off) and 1 hour of labor when it was actually 3 - 4.

Dealerships straight up steal your money and make you wait. Before Cycle Pro I went to a garage mechanic with a certified mmi certificate and license that was cheaper than dealership.

creggur

I do all work I can on our bikes... I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, but with a little patience and a good manual can do most maintenance... It's really not rocket science and I actually enjoy the learning process and feeling of accomplishment.

Does it take me a little longer than an experienced mechanic? Sure. But in the end I know it's clean and everything is torqued to spec... Even if it didn't save me money over having the shop do it it's worth my time to ensure it is correct...