Coolant purging?

RJRinker

So I flushed my coolant after i got my bike. After several flushes I refilled the radiator and overflow tank with a water wetter/distilled. On my first ride i notice alot of fluid purging out of the overflow pee tube. It would do it every time it would reach the 200 range when the fan was kicked on. Seem like a significant amount each time, enough to make a small puddle.
So unsure of what was going on I did another flush and replaced with standard radiator fluid. Thinking that perhaps that the water wetter mix was somehow expanding and causing this.. i dunno... But of course that didn't fix anything. Still peeing quite a bit. I purchased a new radiator cap and still notice a lil peeing on my way home today and it seems to have emptied the overflow tank. No overheating just alot of peeing.

So I guess I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this? Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to do something special in purging the system? As far as I understood it didn't really need "purging" per say.

Also what are the standard temps to see at highway speeds? I'm seeing 185-190. I'm in Florida so.. I'm just used to my CBR1000RR that's usually 170s cruising highway.

Thanks
Rob

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

pandyman

Also what are the standard temps to see at highway speeds? I'm seeing 185-190. I'm in Florida so.. I'm just used to my CBR1000RR that's usually 170s cruising highway.
My bike sits around 95-105 C (202-210 F) on the gauge city riding and around 85 Celsius (185 F) highway riding which according to my local dealer is normal temps

RJRinker

I usually sit around 200°F on the freeway with mine.

As for purging, how are you purging the system? Given the location of the reservoir, it's better to run the bike on the kickstand with the radiator cap off. This allows air to rise and flow out the cap and then you can fill the radiator as the level drops. Coolant only flows from the radiator when the engine heats to a specific temperature to open the thermostat. This then draws cold coolant from the radiator into the system and then as the engine cools again, the thermostat closes, leaving hot coolant in the radiator to cool until the thermostat opens again. This makes purging a rather slow process. Once you have it purged, then it's time to focus on the expansion reservoir.

Given that the reservoir is empty, it tells me the system is sucking in the coolant to replace the air it's still purging. As for coolant puddles, keep in mind it takes very little fluid to make a large puddle on the floor. A single drop of water from an eyedropper will leave a good quarter to half-dollar size puddle. One of those little bathroom cups full of water will leave a puddle large enough to make you think the entire system drained. This could just be coolant ending up in the tube and being pushed out by the burbling when the air is purged out the tube at the same time the reservoir is being emptied.
I only ran the bike once on the kickstand with the cap off after refilling. Then topped off the radiator and expansion. The manual gave no instructions on burping/purging the system and I thought I read on here somewhere that it didn't need it. So didn't think it's was necessary.

Perhaps I should have done the same as Ive done with my CBR. I usually run it 4-5 times up to 175° while giving it lil blips of the throttle throughout.

Well I guess I have a nice new radiator cap! The puddles just made me nervous. But yea your right it's really not a ton when you realize what a small cup looks like on the ground. I'll probably switch back to water wetter this weekend. Unless it's better to run standard stuff?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member