Checking coolant level solo.

Wingover

How do you check the coolant level solo? I know I gotta take the fairing off, but the mx manual says to check it with the bike level. Thanks!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
If you get down on the right side of the bike and look behind the fairing, you can look at the coolant reservoir and see the level. If the level is in the upper "window" you should be fine. Because the bike leans away from you, the level is actually higher.

Hope this makes sense and helps answer your question.

RZ350 Rider

My Bud Joe from Speed & Sport who sold me my FZ6R said it's pretty much a 2 person job, what with no center stand.

RZ350 Rider

Wingover

I am lone ranger here, so maybe the centerstand deal would be wise at home, but when crosscountry do a gross fluid check behind the fairing.. Does anyone leave that front small black fairing off fulltime? Or would the air load on the fairings it is attached to present a problem?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone leave that front small black fairing off fulltime? Or would the air load on the fairings it is attached to present a problem?
You're talking about the one at the lower front apex, right? I haven't looked all that closely, but it may provide some structural integrity for the side fairings. In that, it may keep them from being blown open during a ride. This is speculation though, because I haven't looked close enough to know for sure.

Wingover

Yep, that is the exact fairing in question.. I think you are right.. It looks like the body fairings receive structural support from the black triangular one..

B

bluenova

Hi guys,

I didn't know the FZ6R didn't come with a centre stand.

I have got the FZ6-N which also does not come with a centre stand. I highly suggest you invest in a paddock stand. This will not only make it easy to check the oil and coolent levels on your own, but more importantly lubing the chain is FAR far easier and takes 2 mins rather than 1/2 an hour of rolling the bike along the road :D

RZ350 Rider

Wingover, Once you check the fluid level and KNOW it's right, just look at the tank with the bike on the side stand. The fluid will cross the tank on a slant, but you'll get to know when it's low after that. You'll get used to the look of it on the tilt, it's pretty easy because you can definitely see enough of the tank to check the level WITHOUT removing all the covers and fairing pieces.

RZ350 Rider