Chain or rear wheel clicking

walter kanov

Hi FZ6R community, need some help please!

After doing an oil change and clean/lube of the chain a noise appeared that i don't think i had before.

I got a video here on you tube.

After searching it appears that this may be either
1. chain slack (checked that and it seems ok, but i am not an expert at checking it)
2. rear wheel alignment (both marks where rear wheel mounts to swing-arm are exactly in the same spot and i haven't moved them)
3. chain going bad (didn't notice any links not willing to bend while cleaning)
4. sprocket going bad (no missing teeth or excessive wear that i noticed)
5. transmission messed up by oil change (noise is present while spinning the wheel by hand with transmission in neutral and engine off)
6. something else
7. it's normal noise without load (couldn't hear it during test drive, but with all the wind noise, one wouldn't hear it anyway)

Which one of these should I go back and recheck or is it time to go visit a stealer for their expert opinion?

Thanks for your help in advance.

p.s. another strange thing is that when bike is in any gear other than neutral , even with clutch lever fully squized rear wheel is still spinning (although can be stopped with little effort).

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Watching the video, it looks like the bolts of the sprocket are hitting the arm of the stand. Try moving the stand farther toward the front of the motorcycle. I don't think you actually have a problem at all, and it's just the noise of the bolts hitting the rear stand.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Chucker

Watching the video, it looks like the bolts of the sprocket are hitting the arm of the stand. Try moving the stand farther toward the front of the motorcycle. I don't think you actually have a problem at all, and it's just the noise of the bolts hitting the rear stand.
That's exactly what it is.

xorbe

I did the exact same thing the first time, except severe enough that I couldn't rotate the tire at all for chain maintenance, so the issue was dead obvious.

walter kanov

Thanks

Thanks everyone for replying. This actually makes sense, in the middle the cleaning, right after cleaning the chain but before lube i moved the stand as that sucker kept sliding down the swing arm. Going to get spools asap so that everything lines up and things like this don't happen again.

And will look into clutch lever adjustment instructions soon. After 4 years probably time to do it as I was getting away with chain cleaning and oil changes for 4 years and no other maintenance ;)

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

xorbe

Thanks everyone for replying. This actually makes sense, in the middle the cleaning, right after cleaning the chain but before lube i moved the stand as that sucker kept sliding down the swing arm.
The stand I got has rubberized surfaces, but in your YT video it looks like bronze metal, hard to tell for sure. You might try a layer of something to provide a grippy surface. Maybe smear a thin layer of hot glue on it after scuffing the surface?

walter kanov

The stand I got has rubberized surfaces, but in your YT video it looks like bronze metal, hard to tell for sure. You might try a layer of something to provide a grippy surface. Maybe smear a thin layer of hot glue on it after scuffing the surface?
Yes. The stand is the cheapest one from cycle gear ($39.99 on Memorial Day sale). There were rubber covers around the stand surfaces but they fell off pretty much the first time I used the stand. The second time that I used it was later on the same afternoon is when i did the video. I figured that one or two times won't scratch the paint on swing arms too badly (with all the dirt and grime from the road hitting them the paint should hold up). But yes, I plan on getting spools before using the stand next time. Pretty sure they are coming as my father's day present :)

I've did take the bike for a couple short 20 mile rides and there does not appear any clicking or chain noise so I am 100% sure that stand hitting the sprocket bolts was the problem.

tho9504

Thanks everyone for replying. This actually makes sense, in the middle the cleaning, right after cleaning the chain but before lube i moved the stand as that sucker kept sliding down the swing arm. Going to get spools asap so that everything lines up and things like this don't happen again.

And will look into clutch lever adjustment instructions soon. After 4 years probably time to do it as I was getting away with chain cleaning and oil changes for 4 years and no other maintenance ;)
Did you ever get time to adjust the clutch lever? I just did an oil change on the rear stand today and i tried to run through the gears. i put it in 1st gear and had the clutch fully pulled in. the rear wheel was spinning. i tried to stop it with my feet but there was too much power send to the rear wheel even with the clutch fully pulled in. It does not move if i take it off the rear stand and sit on the bike with clutch pulled in, only start move when i release the clutch slowly. but on the rear stand, i would've expected to stop it with hand. i know i have a clutch adjustment problem because mine was slipping at higher revs (+7k rpms). i freeplay is way over the recommended range (0.39"-0.59"). i could put about 4 nickels side by side on the freeplay gap. If i tighten the freeplay then my clutch starts slipping at higher revs. i am about to throw in the white towel and take it to stealership and have them adjust my clutch. i tried everything.

xorbe

Did you ever get time to adjust the clutch lever? I just did an oil change on the rear stand today and i tried to run through the gears. i put it in 1st gear and had the clutch fully pulled in. the rear wheel was spinning. i tried to stop it with my feet but there was too much power send to the rear wheel even with the clutch fully pulled in. It does not move if i take it off the rear stand and sit on the bike with clutch pulled in, only start move when i release the clutch slowly. but on the rear stand, i would've expected to stop it with hand. i know i have a clutch adjustment problem because mine was slipping at higher revs (+7k rpms). i freeplay is way over the recommended range (0.39"-0.59"). i could put about 4 nickels side by side on the freeplay gap. If i tighten the freeplay then my clutch starts slipping at higher revs. i am about to throw in the white towel and take it to stealership and have them adjust my clutch. i tried everything.
Mechanically, that would suggest you are not getting enough range of motion from the lever, and through the cable to the clutch. Do cables wear out or become damaged or fail?