Chain noise

mashuga

hey guys, curious if anyone has had any additional chain noise when switching from factory chain lube to chain wax?

I liberally sprayed maxima chain wax after allowing kerosene to dry last weekend, let it set for 15-20 minutes and took it for a ride.

I went for a 30 min ride and resprayed the wax a day later to see if heating the chain up a little would help.

When slowing down in 3rd or 2nd gear, it is really noticeable.
Its a rhythmic sounding noise, almost sounds like the chain is rubbing on something but nothing looks to be touching.
if i could type the sound it would be like ghew ghewww ghew ghewww ghew ghewww...
ha maybe i should record it haha.

Chain slack is fine, Ive put 750 miles on since new a month ago.

Could there be that much a difference between the grease from the factory and chain wax? Possibly tightened the chain guard a little too tight?

I searched the forums, and read that yes we have a noisy chain, I don't mind a whine from the chain, but the rubbing sound doesn't seem right. Super noticeable driving down alleys.

any suggestions?

SpawnXX

Premium Member

mashuga

haha, i did it for the laughs..
maybe an audio clip of me making the sound and eventually the actual sound.

I notice it a few minutes into the ride.

SpawnXX

Premium Member

mashuga

It seems to get a little louder, especially after coming off the highway or riding over 40mph.

I think I'm gonna try greasing it with something else next time I clean the chain. I also have some rooms to move the guard up a little, i just remembered I centered the back bolt that attaches it to the bike.

Fulkon

Hows the chain tension?

JSP

Super Moderator
The FZ has a NOISY chain. Took me forever to get used to it. And you can really hear it when you are next to a wall or anything that will bounce back sound. As long as your wheel is aligned and chain in proper slack (measured by pressing down and then up), you should be fine.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

mashuga

That seems to be the consensus, its just odd that this sound was non existent before the cleaning and chain wax...

Guess we'll see what's it like after the next lube..

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
That seems to be the consensus, its just odd that this sound was non existent before the cleaning and chain wax...

Guess we'll see what's it like after the next lube..
Do a quick look over it to make sure no O-Rings have popped out or anything too.

Its crazy though, the FZ was so loud but I cannot hear the chain on the R6 at all...

RooKie

How many miles have you had the same chain for? You may want to check for any tight spots on your chain. If you have any, it may be time to start looking for a new one.

RooKie

yeah but the chain has a 10,000 pound load limit so I think it's gonna take a little more than noise making to damage it lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
It may take more than a little noise to damage the chain, but if the chain is messed up, it's going to wear out your sprockets and make things even worse.

Chevyfazer

If it seems to get worse after riding then you might have it too loose. After the cleaning with the kerosene it probably flushed out any old lube that was keeping the noise down. I would double check the tension and try lubing it again.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member