Chain and Sprocket Combo Advice

lwclancers

I am working on my Christmas list, and just spent a few hours reading all the threads on here about the sprocket and chain combos and tooth ratios. Stock is 16/46 on teeth, and believe 520/118 on the chain. I am considering the following:

Front: 17T (+1) (I do mostly highway driving and would enjoy the reduced RPM/buzz)
Rear: 46T
Chain: 520/118 <-- Can I still use a 118 or do I need to go 120 with the +1 up front?

I am thinking of the following items, thoughts?
Front: Driven 520 Steel Front Sprocket for FZ6R 09-13 - SoloMotoParts.com
Rear: Driven Colored 520 Rear Sprocket for FZ6R 09-11 - SoloMotoParts.com
Chain (its 120 but 2 links can be removed, yes?): DID 520 Pro Street X-Ring VX2 Premium Series Gold Chain - SoloMotoParts.com

Just looking for your thoughts :)

derf1278

This is the exact setup I did, except I chose the driven steel rear sprocket instead. You can still use the 118 link chain, but its gonna be less initial slack at first, but it does fit. Also make sure you get the chain with the master link instead of the clip style for the strongest chain.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Chucker

I went to a 17T front and left the rear stock. It corrected the speedo and improves cruising. I go to the track quite a bit and I find it makes the track better as I can stay in 2nd longer on the infield in the tighter turns. It makes it a little slower out of the hole, but I like it much better once I'm rolling.