can one do a cross country on a super sport ?

erionalite

I have been riding on the fz6r for two years now. This will be my third season and I have loved this byke, but I want to try some touring.

The regular touring bykes are not as edgy and I like to have the sport package.

Has anyone known if super sport bykes are durable enough for a multi day riding ?

Thanks.

- Erion

ry-mac75

No supersport will have the ergos that will allow for effective/comfortable touring. After 2 hours on a supersport - you'll be praying for a bullet.

If you want more jam in the right hand and style - I'd suggest a triumph tiger, ducati mulitstrada, honda vfr... possibly a Z1000 or FZ1. What is it that you're looking to change/improve upon from the 6R?

Reactions: JSP

Sage

The Bike is durable enough, the rider isnt.

raven6

No supersport will have the ergos that will allow for effective/comfortable touring. After 2 hours on a supersport - you'll be praying for a bullet.
I don't know about that... I ride my ZX-6R to work just about every day (weather permitting)... 45 mins each way; hi-way and city.... and have gone on day long trips, far more than 2 hours without stops except for food or gas....

the bike is more than willing... its the rider that gives up before the bike... :D

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reactions: JSP

JSP

Super Moderator
I've gone on 6+ hour rides on my R6... I could NOT do that more than once in say.. a week! After the first couple hours it starts to really get to you. You can mod them so they are a bit more comfortable, but then you lose a lot of that sportiness. Adding bigger windscreen, handlebar risers, etc... sport tourer would be the way to go.

The bike will surely handle it. They are extremely durable machines. You are the one that will have the problems.

clifford_05

I did a VA to OH trip via rt 50 (roughly Winchester to Cincy) about 450 miles each way.
Hey man I live in Ohio. Bout 1 1/2 hours from cinci I'd guess. If you ever came back up this way let me know and maybe we could meet up and ride alittle? haha. Let me know man

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
I wouldn't say it can't be done. Me on the FZ1 and my wife on her FZ6r rode from NH to MI and back. All back roads, no tolls or highways. It was just over 1900 miles total. We stopped over night once in each direction. The longest day was 548 miles. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and twist the throttle but yes, you can tour with it. :D

Here's a couple shots on the morning we were leaving NH all loaded up!

Bigevildoer

That is a VERY broad and very misleading statement. Have you ever ridden a supersport for that time, or just going by what you've heard on the net? Age and level of fitness are also factors which will effect your supersport riding experience. If you're heavily overweight or have the muscle tone of a limp fish, forget it. If you're older and have joint stiffness, again, not a wise bike to purchase in the first place.

I ride my supersport for hours on end without any difficulty whatsoever (I'm 40 and in half decent shape). I haven't changed the ergos at all, except for putting on the "comfort seat" from Buell.

It's all in how you ride it and your own body positioning. You start riding, wind resistance helps relieve the weight on your wrists. If it still bothers you, simply gently squeeze your legs together. Your legs will start to carry some of the weight. Still sore? Tighten your core muscles a bit.

I can ride my 1125r longer than I ever could my FZ6R (my ass hurt - to be fair though, I didn't have a touring seat) after learning proper core technique. Do it long enough, and it becomes second nature and you don't even have to think about it.

If anything, your knees will cramp up faster on a supersport than on the FZ6R due to higher peg position.

ry-mac75

I don't know about that... I ride my ZX-6R to work just about every day (weather permitting)... 45 mins each way; hi-way and city.... and have gone on day long trips, far more than 2 hours without stops except for food or gas....

the bike is more than willing... its the rider that gives up before the bike... :D
45 minutes to 2 hours is not a huge deal - I'm talking extended riding, into 4-8 hour block. If you're slumped over a CBR600 RR for more than 6 hours and feeling really spry, you lemme know.

Hethrir

ive done two long trips (IE 3ish hours) on my bike. both times we stopped after the 2 hour mark and rested for about 10 minutes. not only do your legs start to hurt but you honestly just feel the need to move about a bit. my friend on the harley is the same way, after a couple hours you just need to pull over and move around. is it possible to do something longer on the fz6r? id say heck yes, just remember to take it easy and take breaks every now and then.

Superzoom

Erion, it might be helpful if you clarify whether you mean you are considering touring on the FZ6R or another super sport. A bunch of the comments above seem to think you mean a more hard core sport bike, not the FZ6R.

There's a huge difference between the FZ6R and most sport bikes ergonomically. The FZ6R is pretty darn close to a standard. Get a better seat for it, and it's good to go for all day rides. I've done two 1000 mile days, and although my ass was killing, the riding position is otherwise good. With bar risers and a bigger windshield, there wouldn't be a huge difference between the FZ6R and true sport touring bikes comfort wise.

Most bikes can be made into what you want with a few tweaks and accessories. I personally think it's part of the fun to tour on whatever bike you are passionate about. Thus the countless people who have gone to Alaska and South America and beyond on Ninja 250's, Sportsters, CBR600's, KLR's, Monsters, Hayabusas and Shadows.

I've ridden to the West Coast on a Sportster, and to the East Coast on a '72 Suzuki T250 two-stroke, an '82 Honda CB650 Nighthawk, and my FZ6R. I embraced the character of each bike and enjoyed the ride for what it was, not lamenting the fact that I wasn't on a Goldwing or a Concours. The FZ6R encourages fast, smooth, precise riding at 7/10ths pace, so that's what I did a lot of, and it was a blast.

Last edited:

clifford_05

I grew up around Hillsboro... stopped on my way out and snapped this shot... :D
Awesome man. I got family in Hillsboro so I know the area well. I don't go up there as much unless it's family dinners n stuff but when I was a kid I was there all the time. I'm in Chillicothe now so not far from boro. And as for that pic I know exactly where you were when you took it. That's out at the rocky fork truck stop!! Drove through a million times I'd guess, lol.
If you come back up let me know!!

ry-mac75

Erion, it might be helpful if you clarify whether you mean you are considering touring on the FZ6R or another super sport. A bunch of the comments above seem to think you mean a more hard core sport bike, not the FZ6R.

There's a huge difference between the FZ6R and most sport bikes ergonomically. The FZ6R is pretty darn close to a standard. Get a better seat for it, and it's good to go for all day rides. I've done two 1000 mile days, and although my ass was killing, the riding position is otherwise good. With bar risers and a bigger windshield, there wouldn't be a huge difference between the FZ6R and true sport touring bikes comfort wise.

Most bikes can be made into what you want with a few tweaks and accessories. I personally think it's part of the fun to tour on whatever bike you are passionate about. Thus the countless people who have gone to Alaska and South America and beyond on Ninja 250's, Sportsters, CBR600's, KLR's, Monsters, Hayabusas and Shadows.

I've ridden to the West Coast on a Sportster, and to the East Coast on a '72 Suzuki T250 two-stroke, an '82 Honda CB650 Nighthawk, and my FZ6R. I embraced the character of each bike and enjoyed the ride for what it was, not lamenting the fact that I wasn't on a Goldwing or a Concours. The FZ6R encourages fast, smooth, precise riding at 7/10ths pace, so that's what I did a lot of, and it was a blast.
That's what I meant - this bike is certainly not a supersport. It's capable of long haul rides... a good tailbag and a backpack and you're set for a weekend.

Stephenfz6r

Yamaha calls the FZ6R a Sport Touring bike;-low rise bars, foot pegs straight below the seat, midrange power.......This is not an SS with clips-ons ect, so I don't see any problems with touring on the 6R. I think that no matter what bike you ride you need to take a break after a couple of hours. Cruise control on the straight aways can help with hand fatigue. :steve:

MikeN02

Saw a video somewhere where this guy went cross country with his F4i. Has 200,000 miles on it, when it gets 100,000 miles it stays there.

raven6

45 minutes to 2 hours is not a huge deal - I'm talking extended riding, into 4-8 hour block. If you're slumped over a CBR600 RR for more than 6 hours and feeling really spry, you lemme know.
hahaha... go back and re-read my post dude.... I'm here to let you know I have done more than my fair share of iron butt rides on my ZX... and when its over I still feel "really spry"... maybe you need to get in shape and learn how to support yourself on your bike..

BTW wasn't it you that said 2 hours on a SuperSport would have you praying for a bullet... now your saying 45 mins - 2 hours is no big deal.. make up your mind dude...

Last edited:

ry-mac75

hahaha... go back and re-read my post dude.... I'm here to let you know I have done more than my fair share of iron butt rides on my ZX... and when its over I still feel "really spry"... maybe you need to get in shape and learn how to support yourself on your bike..

BTW wasn't it you that said 2 hours on a SuperSport would have you praying for a bullet... now your saying 45 mins - 2 hours is no big deal.. make up your mind dude...
I read it fine - you'll note that I said 2 hours was the top end. He was talking about touring rides, so I suggested that a supersport wasn't ideal for longer haul trips. I mentioned bikes that were a good blend of power, comfortability and style for the long haul and then you went off about how awesome you are and yammering on about what shape I'm in. I'm in perfectly fine shape, thanks for asking, I gave my opinion - you gave yours. Carry on.

bjs045

Man I was so confused reading this thread, cause the direction the thread was going wasn't relevant to the original posters question. :confused:

I have been riding on the fz6r for two years now. This will be my third season and I have loved this byke, but I want to try some touring.

The regular touring bykes are not as edgy and I like to have the sport package.

Has anyone known if super sport bykes are durable enough for a multi day riding ?

Thanks.

- Erion
Note: No edits from original poster.

If I'm understanding his question correctly, he's asking about a "super sport" and not FZ6R. I believe "the comments above regarding a more hard core sports bike" are right on.

On a side note:
Unless he thinks the FZ6R IS a "Super Sport" :rof: :surrender:

On another side note:
Or am I just eTarded?? :(