Buying new camera not video

MikeN02

In the market for a new Camera to take pictures of bikes and scenery. I'm not rich enough for a Digital SLR or anything like that but I would like to have HD images/clear images that look professional.

I've taken some photography classes in high school but only with old film cameras...

Any suggestions for someone with a budget?

kma_jg

That's a wide open question and the best advice I can give is to read reviews and look around. Maybe start at Best Buy to get an idea of what is available, what you like and then get the best price for it.

2w05thletes

I've got a Samsung camera, two actually. We, my wife and I, love them! Our older one is great, the newer one is better. Both have medal casing as opposed to plastic. They've both got scratches and dents but no cracks. They're smaller with big screens, 12 + mp and tons of zoom. It fits really well inside my tank-bag and jacket pocket. We love the bang for the buck. Both of ours were purchased from Best Buy. Get the prp with it.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Edd

I bought a Canon IXUS 870 IS here in the UK last year, it's only a compact camera, but the pictures are amazing, it was recommended to me by a professional photographer... The US equivalent is a Powershot, I know mine is now obsolete, but I'm sure there's a decent equivalent out there now...

Amazon suggests this model is the newer version:

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002LSI1J6/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1WK0VSA77CHNXND8W47P&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294]Canon Digital IXUS 200 IS Digital Camera - Silver 3.0: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics[/ame]

As for Digital SLR, if you can find yourself an older Nikon D40 DSLR on offer somewhere, you'll probably find that it's not as expensive as you might think!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Funkmaxtor

Price range? You looking for point and shoot, or something with a little more control?

IMHO you can't go wrong with Cannon, usually higher quality cameras even in their lower priced cameras.
The Canon Powershot series are great cameras. Great battery life resolutions about 10 MP, 5X zoom and a fairly durable body. I use them for the high school classes I teach and they hold up to the students so they are good cameras.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

MikeN02

Price range is around 300 - 400. I don't really want a point and shoot just something with more control.

I looked on my local craigslist and saw a Nikon D40 for around 300 - 350.

creggur

+1 on the Canon Powershot cameras... They are great little units that actually take a nice picture. I've got an older Powershot (6MP) I think, and it's been great. I've also got an older Canon 60D 6.3MP Digital SLR - and if I shoot in RAW or Large Fine JPEG it is amazing - and built like a tank.

If you're looking for something with a little more control look around for a digital Canon Rebel - really nice cameras with good capabilities - that you could probably pick up for a good deal on craigslist or ebay... In short, my canons have never let me down...

Superzoom

Hi Mike,

I've worked as a pro photographer, and I'm going to recommend three of my cameras to you, each for a different purpose, but all excellent:

- any of the digital Rebels. I've got the lowly XS, and it's an excellent camera. I bring this on vacation and motorcycle trips instead of my 5D because it's so much smaller and lighter, yet the pictures are at least 90% as good as the best dSLR's out there at a fraction of the price. The image stabilized kit lens is surprisingly good, although I also have my choice of fast glass as well. If you want a very versatile lens combo, use the 18-55 kit lens, plus get the 55-250. The 55-250 is a couple hundred bucks, but you can save to get that later. Get everything used and save a bundle.

- Canon S90. Compact camera which is great in low light, plus lots of manual control. One of the very best compacts you can get. Very pocketable.

- Samsung WB600/650. Compact super zoom camera with a stunning zoom range of 24-360 or something like that. Not quite the quality or operational ease of the Canon S90, but the zoom is so useful. A little bigger than the S90, but still pocketable and still crazy small for such a powerful zoom.

I bought the S90 and WB600 based on the detailed reviews on this website:
'Compact Super Zoom' Camera Group Test (Q2 2010) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Great website.

You can take your pick of the above cameras, but it would be based on a lot of important factors: size, low-light ability, manual control, zoom range, and of course price. I use all these cameras for different reasons. I recently took the Rebel on a trip to Paris, and am very glad I did because the excellent quality and wow factor matched the beauty of the city.

I took the S90 and WB600 on my trip to Nova Scotia and had both in my jacket pocket. I loved their versatility, but i have to say, I missed the quality of the Rebel.

As a former SLR owner, you will love a Rebel or a Nikon dSLR equivalent, and the operation should be somewhat familiar to you. I would highly recommend one if you don't mind the size and can afford it.

nashvillenobody

I bought this a few months ago and it has been a great camera.

Canon PowerShot SX20 IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera (Black)
I do professional photography and shoot with a Nikon D300, but since you are not looking for an SLR, my wife uses the exact Canon as above and gets some really good shots. Not to mention the zoom is incredible. We have used it on many vacations and always pleased with the results.

MikeN02

Would love to get a DSLR if I had the money but unfortunately not. I'm not really into the whole point and shoot compact cameras...

Dunkirk

Mike, you'd love the SLR for the near instantaneous focusing and picture quality. You'd love a point-and-shoot because you can bring it anywhere, and set it up with a tiny portable tripod as needed.

I love Canons - I've had 2 dSLRs, and a G2 from 10 years ago.
I don't like Kodak nearly as well - I just got a waterproof camcorder which takes photos too. The color-correcting algorithm it uses in the photos blows and sucks. My kids look like aliens after Kodak had its way with them.
I got a point and shoot Samsung for 4 years ago that takes better photos than this current Kodak.

MikeN02

Mike, you'd love the SLR for the near instantaneous focusing and picture quality. You'd love a point-and-shoot because you can bring it anywhere, and set it up with a tiny portable tripod as needed.

I love Canons - I've had 2 dSLRs, and a G2 from 10 years ago.
I don't like Kodak nearly as well - I just got a waterproof camcorder which takes photos too. The color-correcting algorithm it uses in the photos blows and sucks. My kids look like aliens after Kodak had its way with them.
I got a point and shoot Samsung for 4 years ago that takes better photos than this current Kodak.
I really liked how I could control so much with a film camera when I took photography back in high school. I was thinking of bringing the camera (if it wasn't a point and shoot) in the carrying case in my backpack. I mean, if it's beautiful enough for me to shoot, it's worth it to set it all up (a non point and shoot camera) to take a great picture with.

I think I will stick to Canon, now to look at cheap DSLR or something similar to it.

creggur

I really liked how I could control so much with a film camera when I took photography back in high school. I was thinking of bringing the camera (if it wasn't a point and shoot) in the carrying case in my backpack. I mean, if it's beautiful enough for me to shoot, it's worth it to set it all up (a non point and shoot camera) to take a great picture with.

I think I will stick to Canon, now to look at cheap DSLR or something similar to it.
Any digital Rebel would probably suit you quite well. Good quality, light weight, and plenty robust enough to take some nice photos. Good luck on your search.

You might start here

Or here...