Brake pad replacement problem?

So i changed my brake pads tonight and when i was going over the job, a question popped in my head. My pads are just sitting on my disc without anything pushing it into the piston(basically push away from the pad so it does not drag)? I might have missed something but i wanted to ask if there was something i missed?

Thanks,
98deathmage

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

FastFreddy

You've got to pump it a few times after a change, even racers can forget :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cH_yFbi4Ns (Ambrose had a points lead that year from memory anyway, the crew chiefs always remind after a pad change pit stop now)

I remember hearing the pads slap the first time I changed front pads without pumping before the ride.

The pads have an air gap normally once the rotor is on the move.

Last edited:
I did make sure to pump it and only rode it up and down my long driveway. I get what you mean. I was just second guessing since it seemed a bit strange.. Lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Well with that out of the way, im going to make an updated guide since i couldnt find one. :p

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

I would like to read your guide... I tried to search out Front Brake Pad Replacement on the forum and the pics in the "How to" thread were deleted.

I just ordered some front pads and will probably change mine next week.

It appears from the pictures that once you remove the retaining bolts, and have the caliber in your hand; the pads slide out and just ride on the spring clips (numbered 11, 20 in the pic)?? Here is a pic I found on the internet...

View attachment 32277

Do you have to deal with the other spring (numbered 12, 21 in the pic)?? Or do the pads just sit on that spring??

Also did you need a C-clamp to compress the caliber piston??

I've changed brakes on other bikes, but they had a locator pin. This seems easier??

Your opinion/advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
I will begin making the guide right now. Need to post the pic on photobucket tho. :p It will be done by tonight for anyone who needs it. :)