Brake Master Cylinder Problems. Replace?

So ive been thinking about replacing my master cylinder to increase braking power along with brake lines. Finally able to get on the road but i read a post here that we are supposed to rebuilt the master cylinder every 2 years.

I have noticed for a while now my front brake lever is very soft, as in i can pull it all the way to the bar... My fathers bike, '09 ER-6n, has brakes that are close to supersport powerful. :D I know my fz6r is not a supersport but the brakes do scare me sometimes.

Any ideas? I have bleed my brakes and it did not prevent the problem. I will be bleeding it again today. And if it makes a difference, my brakes started to make a buzzing sound whenever i brake, though it may just be the vents in the disc.

Last edited:

bmw675

Have you flushed the fluid, or just bleed them? SS brake lines will give you a firmer lever.

I've never heard of having to rebuild the master cylinder every two years. I'd start with the previous two things mentioned and go from there.

floki

Sometimes an air pocket will form at the top banjo bolt. Have you tried bleeding and using the top bolt as the bleeder?

Have you flushed the fluid, or just bleed them? SS brake lines will give you a firmer lever.

I've never heard of having to rebuild the master cylinder every two years. I'd start with the previous two things mentioned and go from there.
I kinda bleed enough fluid that it shouldve flushed the old out. I will be getting the brake lines. Ill put a video up showing what i mean.

adamo3957

Nobody rebuilds master cylinders after 2 years.

The fact you say they've started buzzing is worryinng, checked your pads yet?

Last edited:
Nobody rebuilds master cylinders after 2 years.

The fact you say they've started buzzing is worryinng, checked your pads yet?
Replaced them already. Actually made a how to too.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

SixRFixR

You need the SS brake lines, but if the lever is going to the bar, you aren't finished bleeding. Do the best bleed you can then tie the lever hard to the bar for hours or overnight. Big bubbles become little bubbles and they migrate better. Tap on brake line to dislodge bubbles and get them moving up.

You need the SS brake lines, but if the lever is going to the bar, you aren't finished bleeding. Do the best bleed you can then tie the lever hard to the bar for hours or overnight. Big bubbles become little bubbles and they migrate better. Tap on brake line to dislodge bubbles and get them moving up.
Lol i was kinda doing that every so often. Saw a vid on youtube that suggested this. Didnt know to tighten a lot. Ill try next time im home.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk