Bike woke up!

Chaos

So I have been out on my new bike since the day I got it, so almost 3 weeks now and have put on 750 miles. After I did my 600 mile oil and filter change, the bike changed. It seems like the exhaust smoothed out a bit and it has more power. Have any of you noticed a change in your ride after that first oil change?

bjs045

So far I've noticed two major changes. Once at 600mile oil change and then again shortly after the 1000mile break in period, hitting some freeway runs and opening her up. Doing the 4000mile service soon

Detrich

i didn't notice much after the 600 mile service at all... :(

shifting is still slightly clunky. smooth only when i really concentrate with effort...

Chaos

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that shifting is way smoother now. Especially down shifting.

JonKerr

Elite Member

RenegadeRider

I didn't notice much... but I think part of what we're noticing may come from our own abilities getting better... perhaps? Shifting is much smoother for me now, but I wonder if that's because of the bike... or me.

Chaos

That is a really good point! Maybe it is just coming from our ability and gettin more comfortable with the bike.

TOMIK

I didn't notice much... but I think part of what we're noticing may come from our own abilities getting better... perhaps? Shifting is much smoother for me now, but I wonder if that's because of the bike... or me.
I agree, plus dont forget that you can go over 5800rpm now.:)

Newmason

I noticed the motor felt alittle less restrictive but just rolled 3030 miles rolling into the garage last night and since March when I bought the bike, the shifting has felt clunky and out of place. Even after numerous oil changes it still feels clunky, although it does seem smoother for about 500 miles and then it comes back.

Halon

I really noticed a big difference in the engine after 600 miles. It just felt much more free and less restricted. It just built RPMs faster. Not so much after 1000.
+1, and for me it also felt like it took less throttle to keep the engine working at the same RPM's as before.

bjs045

So far I've noticed two major changes. Once at 600mile oil change and then again shortly after the 1000mile break in period, hitting some freeway runs and opening her up. Doing the 4000mile service soon
Here's more insight to my previous statement:

600mile oil change - relief of clunky shifting. Never came back. Also noticed a smoother throttle with a clean chain, actually I always notice that after.

1000mile break in - Now being able to take her higher than 6k rpm, I noticed what felt like air flow back pressure, restricting (or smooth) acceleration at 7k rpm and up. Only thing I can compare the feeling too is removing a catalytic converter from a cage or running straight headers. I'm assuming it's the computer reconfiguring since its seeing higher rpm. After some high rpm freeway runs, all is fine and smooth.

Or you can just say its the 1000mile break in of your "muffler bearing" :eek::thumbup:

Last edited:

angelsneverlose

you dont even hit the powerband until like 7 or 8K+

i think thats why you think it was such a big chage, not because it was, but because you actually got to use the powerband after the break in period, lol

and people saying clunky shifting? maybe its because they used better oil? I mean, the first change will help as it gets all the flakes or anything bad out, but i know my dealer doesn't use good oil, so switching to aimsoil made a big difference in its self

bjs045

you dont even hit the powerband until like 7 or 8K+

i think thats why you think it was such a big chage, not because it was, but because you actually got to use the powerband after the break in period, lol
LOL ....no that's not why I think there was a change. In fact I was anticipating a nice power band.

I'd say between 1000 to 1200 miles when I twisted the throttle the bike seemed to make a lot of noise (high rpm's) but not accelerate as thought. So the bike would hit a down slope in a mph/rpm's curve.

In other words the power band was not all that impressive or satisfying. But after taking it on the freeway it seemed to settle in. Now there's a smooth power band. I opened her up full throttle to red line 1-5 gears a couple of times. No point in 6th gear.

hattrickhero

I believe the bike runs better after tightening the chain, which is done at 600 mile service. Smoother shifting, lower rpm's and more power to the wheel is attributed to tighter chain. Just my opinion.

Roaddawg

Like Angel and hattrick were saying.....Once you get that junked up break-in oil out and fresh oil in, that's gonna make it run smoother. And, if you put in better oil, like a semi- or full- synthetic oil, it will shift and run even smoother. As the oil breaks down, your shifting will get a little clunky. That's why I'd recommend a better oil, because it will hold up longer...IMO.

And, making sure the chain is at the right setting. cleaned, and lubed properly it will also make a difference, like Hattrick stated.