Better than goo gone?

fz6rwolf

Ok, remember couple weeks ago I took off my decals. Well right after I did it I scrubbed right side (if sitting on bike) with goo gone for well over an hour to get adhesive off. This weekend before my 375 mile ride I worked on the other side for about 15 minutes maybe and only got not even a quarter of stuff off. Does anything work better than goo gone because I ust really don't feel like doing that much scrubbing?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Did you heat the decals before trying to remove them? A lot of the others that have removed them found that it was a breeze after a little heat.

If you are patient (or daring enough) you could use a 2000 grit finishing sand paper and try to just remove it that way. If you do it correctly, you should be able to remove the adhesive without affecting the clear coat below it. But this method is a little risky, especially if you are worried about hazing the clear coat.

Good luck!

RZ350 Rider

BEFORE you try sandpaper, use some of the old style Ronsonol liquid lighter fluid!! It even says on the label it's good for removing labels and the resultant goo mess left behind, and also Tar from ALL PAINTED SURFACES. I used it on my Yamaha's new windshield, I bought the half tinted one, took the mess of very easily and it looks awesome on the Cadmium Yellow bike. Please try the lighter fluid before you do anything else!

RZ350 Rider

MNDZA

If you are patient (or daring enough) you could use a 2000 grit finishing sand paper and try to just remove it that way. If you do it correctly, you should be able to remove the adhesive without affecting the clear coat below it. But this method is a little risky, especially if you are worried about hazing the clear coat.

Good luck!
Scary:eek:

fz6rwolf

I agree, sandpaper no matter how fine is scary unless you're polishing aluminum rims to shine up nice. Will try Ronsonol (probably have some somewhere in a junk drawer LOL). Yeah when I decided to peal them off was after a ride spur of the moment, plus I'm on 2nd floor apartment with no outside receptical so would have needed a pretty long extension cord for hairdryer. Nothing else I'll just spend couple hours this weekend with the goo gone or lighter fluid.

W

Wildcard

goto Advance Auto and pick up a can of Label and Sticker remover. Works AWESOME.

mfischler

Elite Member

Funkmaxtor

Heat and fingernail polish remover! Worked great for me.

JSP

Super Moderator
Duct Tape!!! I removed mine and used nothing but duct tape and it took all the crap i couldnt even get off with my finger nails off. Just keep dabbing it and it will pull everything off. I dont like using solvents or anything like that on my paint.

cormom2

PB Blaster decal remover works great! I took a nylon scraper from my kitchen to work the worst of the sticker off, then used the PB Blaster and it took it off as slick as snot!

pyrocpu

I just used Turtle Wax's Bug & Tar remover. Just let it soak for 30min, hit it w/ a clean terry cloth towel, a few moments of rubbing--gone!

And yes, pre-heating the area w/ a heat gun or hair dryer helps things along quite nicely. :)

bobski

Peanut butter

Yep, just try plain old smooth peanut butter. Just rub it on lightly, give it a few minutes to work, the oil in it seems to penetrate and disolve the glue residue and it can be easily removed. Let me know how this works for you.

fz6r_zer0

I just used Turtle Wax's Bug & Tar remover. Just let it soak for 30min, hit it w/ a clean terry cloth towel, a few moments of rubbing--gone!
+1

It's petroleum based and works great. When I bought my bike the guy took most the decals off already but left some residue on the wind screen and fairings. I took off the tank sticker.

Just shake the bottle up to mix it and apply lightly and thoroughly. I rub it in a little, wait about 10 seconds and wipe it off.

Remember to clean it completely afterward (I use a Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer) and give it a nice wax!

Melting

Yep, just try plain old smooth peanut butter. Just rub it on lightly, give it a few minutes to work, the oil in it seems to penetrate and disolve the glue residue and it can be easily removed. Let me know how this works for you.
This may work great but I don't think I'll ever feel the same about eating peanut butter. :eek:

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

6R Blackout