Best Winter Gear

Funkmaxtor

So I currently own a Joe Rocket Mesh jacket and pants. I am a school teacher and use my bike to commute to work and college. Is heated gear best (pants, vest, maybe gloves)? Or should I just keep adding layers. I currently wear khakis, Joe Rocket (Atomic) Mesh pants, t-shirt, dress shirt, sweat shirt, and Joe Rocket Mesh Jacket w/ waterproof liner. I also wear Joe Rocket vented leather gloves (need something warmer).

So my real question is what is the best way to keep warm? Heated gear? Layers? A combination of the two?

I looking to get whats best but money is a real consideration when looking.

mchury

So I currently own a Joe Rocket Mesh jacket and pants. I am a school teacher and use my bike to commute to work and college. Is heated gear best (pants, vest, maybe gloves)? Or should I just keep adding layers. I currently wear khakis, Joe Rocket (Atomic) Mesh pants, t-shirt, dress shirt, sweat shirt, and Joe Rocket Mesh Jacket w/ waterproof liner. I also wear Joe Rocket vented leather gloves (need something warmer).

So my real question is what is the best way to keep warm? Heated gear? Layers? A combination of the two?

I looking to get whats best but money is a real consideration when looking.
my experience tells me layers is better. u can always take off something if u get to warm. heated things wilol make u sweat and that inturn gets u colder quiker

stuna

looks like were gonna need it . there calling for hi of mid 30s this weekend . we should be in the 50s / nw wis.

JSP

Super Moderator
With temps below 40 you will not get too warm while riding even if you have lots of layers. Heated gear is a wonderful help. Something as simple as heated grips/gloves and a heated vest will keep you very warm. You wont have to have so many layers on that you cannot move. I just have heated grips and they make a HUGE difference in riding. If you get too warm you can simply flick the switch and turn them off for a little bit. Too many layers and you must stop the bike and try and remove gear, store it, etc.

Funkmaxtor

Any power concerns for heated gear?

I was looking at the EXO2 systems. They have a small battery pack that will run a heated vest for about 3 hours. I was looking at their site and it seems that you cannot run their gloves off of the battery. The only reason I am considering the battery system is that I am an avid hunter as well. Would be nice to have heated gloves when it is really cold outside.

JSP

Super Moderator
Either or is good. Battery is good if you want to get off the bike but keep the heat like you said. But its easy to hook up a power connection to the battery of the bike.

Funkmaxtor

Thanks for the advice from everyone! That's why I love this forum!

I already have a battery tender connected so I'm not worried about wiring issues.

Does anyone know if you can run the EXO2 gloves from their battery system?

jdesiano1

Verranth

I am looking at the Oxford heated grips. I'll post when and if I get them. For now, I'm waiting for my leather overpants to get here, along with the A* Balaclava, and the Scorpion winter gloves that 99Ven posted about...or was it CB?

Eitherway, I'm planning on doing the Skyline Drive trip again in another 2 weeks. I expect that it will be colder than last time, and once again, I will report on the trip and how the gear held up.