Bad Feeling

Funkmaxtor

Today I was out for a pretty spirited ride with a bunch of friends on sport bikes (mainly liter bikes). We were on a road that only one person sort of knew. After a series of fairly tight turns I felt like I was starting to push my ability limits, so I waved two of the guys that were right behind me around as I backed of the throttle. We enter the next turn and all was well till about half way through the turn it tightened up severely. The guy in front of me already had his knee down on the pavement and still didn't stay in our lane. Next I see the guys that sort of knew the road and he was laying under his bike against a guide rail with the back tire spinning about 2 inches from his head. He didn't realize that the turn tightened that hard and it spooked him. He hit the front brake in the turn and low sided. Luckily he was ok, just a few bruises despite only wearing jeans on the bottom. He did have a leather jacket that did its job well and gloves. Somehow he managed to keep his helmet from hitting anything. The bike was scratched a bit and the turn signals were both broke as well as most of the plastic fasteners.

So what did I learn from all this? When you know that you are at your ability limits slow down. If I didn't do that I know I would have joined him in the guide rail party!

MikeN02

I second that statement! I don't take turns or roads that I don't know fast at all. It scares the crap out of me because I don't know the road and what comes after it. Even if I see the turn before I make it I'm still careful, I would have to ride the road for a couple months before I can get more speed and curve into it.

That's why my friend calls me a Pus!# rider, but hey... at least I'm safe.

Especially with a liter bike? man that's real danger

JonKerr

Elite Member

fz6rwolf

Very good thing you knew your limits. One thing to remember, if you're not familiar with the road or the road conditions, best to just cruise until you're much more familiar with it and until you know the roads are clear.

But you're right, your limits are your limits, any you know them better than anyone else. If you're just not feeling it, not comfortable, or just get a feeling that things just aren't right, back off. Don't push it. You should never be riding more than 70% of your capabilities anyways so that when you do come to that decreasing radius turn that you're not expecting comes up, you have some cushion there to use when you have to.
+1, still got quite a bit chicken strips and probably always will.

MikeN02

+1, still got quite a bit chicken strips and probably always will.
I always have and more or likely always will. My friend looked at my bike and said I still have chicken stripes, even though I'm at the 2k Mi mark.

But every time my friend and I ride he always says don't do anything you're uncomfortable with. And also it's a general rule of thumb with us or anyone else we ride with is to not try and keep up with the people in the group who can't control themselves from time to time, they'll wait for you.

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Perfectly spelled out JonKerr! Well done! Had you not answered, mine would have been very much the same. :thumbup: I also organize many rides and employ the same tone, strategy and instructions to the group.

Thanks!

JonKerr

Elite Member

Funkmaxtor

The group I was with also stresses the same things. Everyone is always told to ride how you feel comfortable and we will wait for you at the next intersection if necessary. The guy that went down was the one that was in the front and just didn't recognize his limits like the rest of us did. The more I think about the happier I am that I can recognize my own limit and stay well below that limit so I could avoid a situation like that. I reviewed the video (had my Go Pro on) and I watched the guy that I waved past miss the downed ride by only two feet. Closer that I would want to be. Thanks for all the input everyone is giving. I'm glad to see that everyone has such a safe routine during group rides.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Funkmaxtor

I will have to check that out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Napoleon

sheeeit

Trust me, we all feel you bro. Those that'd comment on this thread anyways. There's many bikers out there that for whatever reason don't really give a S)(it... Bout them, their bike, or you. Any rider who doesn't know their limits is a time bomb. Whether or not you want to be behind them going 120 when they find theirs is up to YOU. :Flash:

streetmaster

I always err on the side of caution. The thing is, even if it's a road you know well, the road surface can change from day to day, hour to hour. Debris can be blown across the road just on the exit of your favorite corner or some sort of spillage, diesel, water etc. You just never know.

ksanbon

Great thread! :thumbup:

My thoughts:
1. Expect the unexpected
2. There's always more to learn
3. Excess ego can kill