Anyother sportbike more 'upright' than an FZ6R?

C

CravenMoorhead

Anyone ride or own a sportbike with a more upright, easy posture sitting style than the FZ6R?

I realize its 'different stroke for different folks' (ergonomics) but the R6 is more forward leaning and pegs under your butt with knees bent than the FZ6R for example.

Is there a sportbike motorcycle with a 'more relaxed' off your wrists, short of a cruiser or standard bike? I could not find one better than the FZ6R but happy to hear all opinions...

R

Red Wazp

Iv'e got 54K on an old mans sport bike. Sweet machine.

My buddys 04 Aprillia Tuono is mighty upright too.

C

CravenMoorhead

Iv'e got 54K on an old mans sport bike. Sweet machine.

My buddys 04 Aprillia Tuono is mighty upright too.

Could you compare and contrast your 07 and 04 beyond the painfully obvious?

That you own both bikes make me believe the 04 is not sporty...

fz6rwolf

You unhappy with your new bike? I thought the gsx650F was pretty upright too, about the same as the FZ6R, the Ninja650R felt awkward but pretty upright. I really like how the FZ6R feels myself, different position but I think more comfortable than the cruisers I owned in the past. I'm 46 by the way and reason I got the FZ6R was comfort, my wrists don't hurt like a sportbike would and my back doesn't like the cruisers. I would like the bars maybe up an inch though.

R

Red Wazp

Could you compare and contrast your 07 and 04 beyond the painfully obvious?

That you own both bikes make me believe the 04 is not sporty...
First off if I could only own one of the two it would be the FJR hands down. It handles very well with a full load of gear. It does most everything (except really tight cornering) better than the FZ. 500 mile days are quite common on the FJR traveling the great western US of A. Rumors are triple digit speeds can be fun in the desert.

I bought the FZ for a fun day/ play bike for riding our local mountain roads. 250 mile a day on the FZ is about all I care to do. I have over 9K miles in a couple years riding it.

FJR 145hp / 650 Lb. bike - better long distance machine

FZ6 85hp / 450 Lb. bike - run between 8 & 13k rpm's, Fun Fun

Both great Yamaha products, each fill a riding need. Notice I do ride a KLR and XT350 for real dirt riding.

Old men get to have more than one bike;)

C

CravenMoorhead

No, quite happy with my new bike but just nitpicking...

If I could find one fault so far, I'd wish I was about 10 degrees more upright. I'm 44 but had lumbar spine surgery a few years ago and starting to think ahead about 'the arthur' in my upper extremities.

I am used to off road motorcycles and their seated postion for now.

T

Tremulant

First off if I could only own one of the two it would be the FJR hands down. It handles very well with a full load of gear. It does most everything (except really tight cornering) better than the FZ. 500 mile days are quite common on the FJR traveling the great western US of A. Rumors are triple digit speeds can be fun in the desert.

I bought the FZ for a fun day/ play bike for riding our local mountain roads. 250 mile a day on the FZ is about all I care to do. I have over 9K miles in a couple years riding it.

FJR 145hp / 650 Lb. bike - better long distance machine

FZ6 85hp / 450 Lb. bike - run between 8 & 13k rpm's, Fun Fun

Both great Yamaha products, each fill a riding need. Notice I do ride a KLR and XT350 for real dirt riding.

Old men get to have more than one bike;)
Thanks for the review! I actually think it's a sweet bike, and it's good to hear that a fellow FZ6 rider enjoys it. I just may have to buy one when I'm an old man and ready to tour the country:D

You old men get to have all the fun! :thumbup:

Quick question, how does it handle riding two up on long rides?

D

Denver_FZ6

Sprint ST? Unfortunately no saddle time by me. :confused: Don't know if it's more upright or only equivalent.

B

blchandl2

Tiger 1050. I have owned the FJR, FZ6, and the Tiger. I like them all, but the Tiger is most comfortable.

fz6rwolf

I really like the looks of the Tiger but I'm on a budget LOL.

A

Aleziel

upright?

check out the

ducati multistrada
suzuki Vstrom
yamaha Tenere
honda Transalp
triumph Tiger
honda Varadero
Aprilia Caponord

C

CravenMoorhead

upright?

check out the

ducati multistrada
suzuki Vstrom
yamaha Tenere
honda Transalp
triumph Tiger
honda Varadero
Aprilia Caponord

All good candidates but the Vstrom, which I loved everything else about except its lack of sportiness and top heavy. I don't think the Honda transalp is available in the USA.

Seem's like the Tiger is getting a lot of support here and there is a Triumph/Ducati/BMW dealer close to us. I actually went to look at the new BMW FS800? But there were three more expected this year at the dealership and ten people on a waiting list.

I am enjoying the FZ6R, and absolutely love its looks and quality but now just a 'want my cake and eat it too' conundrum.

S

steveindenmark

I have the same problem, unfortunately. I have an old neck injury and I broke both my forearms in another accident. Even with risers the position is still uncomfortable for me so I will be buying another cruiser soon. It will be a Honda Magna 750 so at least it will have some poke.

I think the FZ6 is great and I have had some wonderful trips on it. Not least our trip to france last year. Like all bikes it has good and bad bits but it has been totally solid for me over 20,000km and has not given me one ounce of trouble.

I need to be in a more upright position to take the strain off my arms and to take the crick out of my neck.

I will miss the FZ6 but am looking forward to the magna.

Steve

T

TownsendsFJR1300

I have the same machines "Red Wasp" has, an 04 FJR and an 07 FZ6... The fz is quite a bit lighter but the FJR is very quick for its weight.. The FJR will power wheelie easily in 1 and second gear without trying. The horse power is much lower in the RPM range so 145 HP is within 8k, not 13k... Passing on the freeway is usually throttle only as it will get to triple digits without trying and you can run very quickly all day long... As stated 500 mile days are do able... The FZ, not nearly the same.. Both are a blast, just very different rides...

With Risers on the FZ 1 3/4 "back and 1" up (Gen Mar's) its about the same as an FJR with 1" risers (Gen I)...

C

CravenMoorhead

Dumb question?

I had the dealer fully raise my seat upon delivery (3/4").

I did this because of my height (6'4") to put as much room between my feet and seat to minimize knee flexion.

If I were to lower my seat back to its original/lowest position, would that effectively straighten me up (say another 5 or 10 degrees)?

Is my reckoning correct here or just splitting hairs?

fz6rwolf

I actually raised my seat also after finding out I could still flatfoot in the raised position. It did make the bar reach bit lower which I don't care for much but looking for risers to raise it an inch. Hint: if anyone finds bar risers please post?!