Almost ran out of gas!!!

MNDZA

I finally fit into my kevlar pants and so I decided to go out for a long ride. I had one bar left on the gauge and decided I'll put gas later. After about 30 miles the gauge starts flashing and the f-trip starts. I decide to pull off the highway and put gas. I get off my bike and guess what....I left my wallet in my regular jeans. So I'm 40 miles away from my house with no money and no wallet! I immediately start heading back. The whole ride back I was tucked in as much as possible and always in high gear. And the whole ride back I was ready for the bike to shut off. Somehow, I end up making it back to my house. I get my wallet and was gonna take a gas can and fill it up and decide, hey I made it this far....So I get back on the bike and go to the nearest gas station. THEY ONLY HAVE REGULAR GAS and I always put premium....so I decide, again, hey I made it this far. And so I head to another gas station and fill up. Total miles on f-trip: 52. Never again will I get into that situation.

K

kustom17

Awesome!

52 thats nice

i ran out of gas once, by accident, it went to F trip, and I had to go to work (about 10 miles) was playing with the gauge on the way over and accidentally turned off F trip, get to work thinking i'll fill up after work. Work comes and goes, get on my bike to go home, totally forgot about the low fuel since the F trip wasn't on... run some errands and get around the corner from my house at a light... sitting there then... quiet.... i look down.. and have a holy s@#t moment... look across the street and push my bike to the 76 station.. so lucky it happened right there.. i felt really dumb...

T

teeter

52!!!!

Damn. I freak out at 20. Hit 25 once and I was positive I was going to run out. (Though not enough that I refrained from passing slow movers at 10k rpm or so. :rolleyes:)

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
52, WOW!! :thumbup:

Just so everyone is aware, the FZ6R has a 0.8 gallon "reserve." That means that there is 0.8 gallons of fuel remaining when the F-Trip starts flashing. So, assuming you truly were on fumes, and a little math later....you were getting 65 mpg!!! :rockon:

Who here loves their Yami even more now?!? :cheer:

S

skyjake

You were running on fumes! :eek:

Glad you made it.
I agree. He had to be running on fumes. I think I got maybe 15 miles on the counter after it started flashing. I generally never let it go that far. 50 Miles though???? OMG!!!!!!!

Glad he made it!!!

MNDZA

52, WOW!! :thumbup:

Just so everyone is aware, the FZ6R has a 0.8 gallon "reserve." That means that there is 0.8 gallons of fuel remaining when the F-Trip starts flashing. So, assuming you truly were on fumes, and a little math later....you were getting 65 mpg!!! :rockon:

Who here loves their Yami even more now?!? :cheer:
Hahaha the whole time I kept doing math in my head. I have been almost always averaging 47mpg. The manual said reserve is 0.85gal. So I was riding all tucked in and counting to myself thinking that I basically was gonna maybe get to like 40 miles if I'm lucky. I don't know how I made it...especially being nearly 240lbs. A good chunk of the ride was highway so that definitely helped me I think.

MNDZA

I saved my receipt from after the fill up and I'll check it when I get home. I think I either put in 4.3 or 4.2 gallons. I had the bike on the sidestand during the fillup. How big is our tank including reserve?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I saved my receipt from after the fill up and I'll check it when I get home. I think I either put in 4.3 or 4.2 gallons. I had the bike on the sidestand during the fillup. How big is our tank including reserve?
All total, our tanks are 4.6 gallons.

C

crabby117

I just thought I would pass on something my MSF course instructor told our class about running out of gas. He suggested we not let it happen, and here's his reason: (Forgive me for not knowing the correct terminology for the mechanics involved.)

Gas tanks can collect deposits over time. On its way to combustion, your fuel passes through a filter with microfine perforations. If the deposits get sucked through this filter, they can do damage to that fuel filter which, according to the instructor, is a very expensive repair.

I don't know how true this is, but "expensive repair" is reason enough for me to never want to run out of gas. My bike is pretty new, so I'm not really worried about having any deposits in my tank. But for older bikes, it's probably more of a possibility? Years and years of cheap gas and maybe internal tank corrosion? I don't know...

W

Wildcard

I stated this last year in some fuel discussion thread as well. For any kind of gas running machine, it is not good to run fuel down dry because as crabby stated, there are deposits and other crap in the bottom of tanks. You do not want that crap being sucked up. So always fill up when you can and dont ride F-trip out too far...

MNDZA

I just thought I would pass on something my MSF course instructor told our class about running out of gas. He suggested we not let it happen, and here's his reason: (Forgive me for not knowing the correct terminology for the mechanics involved.)

Gas tanks can collect deposits over time. On its way to combustion, your fuel passes through a filter with microfine perforations. If the deposits get sucked through this filter, they can do damage to that fuel filter which, according to the instructor, is a very expensive repair.

I don't know how true this is, but "expensive repair" is reason enough for me to never want to run out of gas. My bike is pretty new, so I'm not really worried about having any deposits in my tank. But for older bikes, it's probably more of a possibility? Years and years of cheap gas and maybe internal tank corrosion? I don't know...
That was another thing on my mind. I kept thinking that once I feel any loss of power I'll shut it off and hope that I didn't cause any damage.

C

chimneydoc

How many gals. did it take to fill you up? The most I took was 4.4 gals

Doc

MNDZA

I just checked my receipt. I put in 4.325 gallons. So that would mean I had .275 gallons left, BUT since it was on the sidestand that means I couldn't fill it all the way to capacity. So I definitely had to have less than .275. It was probably down to almost nothing then! Wow....I watched the Seinfeld episode today where Kramer and the car dealer guy try to push the car as far as possible running on E....LOL

MNDZA

I think I had maybe 5-10 if I was lucky.

xplodnstar

WOW, dude!!! I thought I was pushing it the other day when I went to 30 miles on F-Trip. 210 miles on the tank.

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Good to know the FZ6R can keep us running farther. :cheer:

euros4life

Damn.... thats impressive I pushed mine about 30 miles on the fuel trip. And the only gas station within 20 miles had 87, 91 or 110 octane. Like most of us I only run premium so I bit the bullet and payed $6.59 a gallon. Definitely worth it. I pulled a decent wheely leaving the station and proceeded to top the bike out at 136...... only to have my heart stopped when I blow bye a retired sheriffs car.

PVD_FZ6R

I always keep a spare $5 in the glove compartment of the car and bike for situations like this. There have been a few times when having it has saved my a$$.

J

jreese86

I went on a trip today and filled up before I left. Total trip was 199 miles. I pulled into the gas station with 5 miles on the F-Trip and filled it up with 3.85 gallons. I got 52mpg because the trip was all highway and 55mph back roads in the middle of nowhere. So with a 5.1 tank, thats roughly 1.3 gallons when the F-Trip comes on. Assuming you get around 45mpg on average, thats 58 miles before you are completely dry. I'd say you came pretty close haha!