added givi bags

janea

I think someone already posted these bags, but i couldn't find the original thread, so i've added mine. I got the V35 bags (all black -- there is a black and gray option) from sport touring (Givi Monokey V35 motorcycle side case, luggage, hard cases). i'm not a savvy shopper -- can't remember if they are 600 or 700 bucks. PRICEY, even though they don't charge state tax for non-Ohio residents. But for me, worth it, because i need the bike to be a workhorse, from work to groceries to buying pet food for five dogs and four cats! i'll get a pic one of these days with the bags loaded and 50 pounds of dog food strapped on top:) i took a pic with a six-pack and my boots in the bags, to give you a feel for the size. I miss the top-loading E21 bags; these load from the side, which makes cramming little things into the corners difficult.

the bags completely change the look, of course. the sport look is gone and the touring look is on! i included a pic from the side to show how much the bags will impede the foot rests for a passenger. personally, i wouldn't want to be a passenger with the bags on, but maybe it works for smaller people.

It's also a WILD ride in the wind! Much more impact than the little E21 cases ever had on my beemer. These mothers serve as parasails. Granted, i rode with them on a super-windy day (gusts up to 50!), but they really moved me around in the lane, at 60 mph (under 50 mph there was far less problem, but of course, i had to keep pushing to see how bad it could get:). Also crapped out the mileage -- dropped it to 40 mpg! Coming back, with $160 of groceries in them and strapped on top, the wind impact was greatly lessened.

one more good news item on bags -- a friend of mine has experimented and found he never gets a speeding ticket with bags, because he looks so darn respectable:)

Attachments

fz6rwolf

I think it looks good with bags

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

FitZ6R

janea, I appreciate you posting this. Someone posted pics of their FZ6R with a top case, but I think your bike is the first 6R I've seen with hard side cases.

I'm still on the fence about hard luggage. The convenience seems great, but your comments about wind sensitivity are a little alarming. I think the cases look great from the side, and really wiiide from the back. Would you be able to measure the overall width?

janea

width of bags

i'll measure them tonight and get back to you. i can tell you they stick out just a tad further than the mirrors. wiiiide is right! they come off super-easy, though, which is handy, because i take them off when i just want to ride (and go with a soft fanny pack and tank bag), and put them on when i have serious shopping to do.

Brugge

If possible could you post a picture with the bags off. I would like to see what that looks like.

Thanks!

janea

bag width and racks

The bags are exactly 36 inches across, which is about three inches wider than the handlebars. Frankly, it looks wider than that to me, but that's what the tape measure says.

I photographed the racks sans case. Racks are handy solo because otherwise there are limited, secure places to hook a bungee net, which I use religiously for last-minute stuff. Also included a previously-promised pic with boots and a six-pack in the case, to give you an idea of how much you can load. When I got groceries, I put three canvas grocery bags' worth in the two cases (another strapped on top); had enough room left over I could have gone two bags per case. That's almost double what I could get in my old E21 cases on my beemer.

The rack close-up shot shows the little do-hicky bolts that come off to remove the racks. There are three on each side and one in the back; givi even provides the allan wrench for removing them.

Other than the high-wind warning, I love the bags. And remember, I was having trouble on a super-windy day in wind farm country, with the bags empty. Sustained winds of 25 - 35 that day, with gusts 45 - 50, and with me determined to ride at 60 mph.

Attachments

fz6rwolf

I'm really liking that, with the ergos the bike has the bags make it a decent sport-tourer. Next year hopefully can save up enough for Givi's (expensive in my opinion.)

Verranth

wow...i'm totally digging that setup. I wish I had an extra $1000 for the side bags, adapters, and top case too. Then, the gf and I could go touring into the sunset! ...oh wait...no, not really. For that, I'm hoping we'll get the FJR - or a cruiser... but I cant see myself in a Goldwing, though I hear they are REALLY nice. =)

FitZ6R

Belated followup:

Thanks again for the review, pics, and measurements. I'd love hard bags, but both the size and the price put them beyond the range of what I really need. Maybe if I hit the lottery, or get a new job....

I'm also hoping that since the PLXR system is new, Givi might introduce some smaller / less expensive side cases in the not-too-distant future.

gearhead

I have been wanting hard bags on mine since before I purchased it. Those look great. Thanks for posting the pics!

gearhead

Are those reflectors in back of the bags or do they light up?

janea

givi bag lights

No lights, just reflectors. But they are handy in figuring out which bag goes where when i put them back on:) And i do take them off a lot -- the little suckers are chewing up my gas mileage! On windy days, i only get 40 mpg with the bags, versus about 48 without. i'm really hoping givi produces a rack for the smaller bags on this bike, because IMO, these are too big for the bike.

FitZ6R

i'm really hoping givi produces a rack for the smaller bags on this bike, because IMO, these are too big for the bike.
As I understand it, you can use the SW-Motech racks plus adaptors to fit the older Givi bags.