Accidentally put in 2 different oils. What do.

methusalem

Messed up and accidentally put 1 quart of 20w50 in with 2 quarts of 10w40.

How screwed am I? What should I do? Also changed oil filter btw.

Thanks for the help! And yes, I already feel sufficiently stupid :(

Edit: I should add, they're both Castrol full synthetic. the 10 is apparently "optimized" for i4's, the 20 for v-twins... don't know if/how much that matters.

Last edited:

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member
Typically, mixing viscosity isn't a problem, providing they are the same brand....mixing brands isn't recommended simply because different companies use certain additives and mixed additives can damage your engine.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

BKP

Same brand, no problem:

From the Chevron.com site:
"Yes. It is always advisable to not mix motor oil brands, however, different viscosity grades of the same brand motor oil are compatible. Be aware that mixing viscosity grades will turn out a product that is different in viscosity than either what was originally in the engine or what was added."

From Shell.ca:
"If you mix viscosity grades such as a 5W30 low-viscosity oil and a 10W40 higher-viscosity oil, it is reasonable to expect that the resulting product will have viscosity characteristics which are thicker than the 5W30, but thinner than the 10W40. This change does not reflect incompatibility - it's simply a re-balancing of the viscosity characteristics. In all other ways, the product should work as expected. But there's absolutely no danger about incompatibility resulting from mixing engine oils," Miller says. "We've tested all of our grades and brands, and we haven't observed any problems."

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

blkbrd

Elite Member